KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

REQ: Test website availability without adding to IIS logfile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Propje

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: REQ: Test website availability without adding to IIS logfile Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am new to HM and have a question. I searched the doc, faq and forum but did not find a solution. Maybe someone can point me to the right direction.

I need to check if a website is up or down. The website has its own IP address, apart from the IIS server's IP address.

When I use IP website address check (ping), this also returns okay when the web is down (I think this is because server is still up).

When I use http test, then every time a line is added to the IIS log file of the website. This 'disturbs' web statistics.

Is it possible to check if a web site is up/down without adding to the IIS log file?

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!
Thanks in advance !!!
Propje
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: REQ: Test website availability without adding to IIS log Reply with quote

Propje wrote:
I need to check if a website is up or down. The website has its own IP address, apart from the IIS server's IP address.
You may use "URL" or "HTTP" test methods.

Propje wrote:
When I use IP website address check (ping), this also returns okay when the web is down (I think this is because server is still up).
Correct. Ping test checks the network interface on the server, that hosts IP address, not IIS directly.

Propje wrote:
When I use http test, then every time a line is added to the IIS log file. This 'disturbs' web statistics.
Is it possible to check if a web site is up/down without adding to the IIS log file?

Sorry, I do not think it is possible because of IIS security. IIS records each request it receives. If you disable IIS logging, you will miss the statistics at all.
You may try to use "TCP" test to check port 80 (if your site uses 80), but if your IIS hosts more than one site on that port, such method is useless. Another solution is to change user agent in "Options" -> "Miscellaneous" tab -> "Settings for URL test" area. For instance, you may select "KSHostMonitor:/1.0" agent name, setup an "URL" test to monitor your site, and than exclude records with "KSHostMonitor:/1.0" user agent from the statistics.

Regards,
Max
Propje

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: REQ: Test website availability without adding to IIS log Reply with quote

Hi Max,

Thanks for your reply! Lazy as I am, I hoped for a simple solution that does not include stripping IIS log files before feeding them to the statistics software

Thanks again!
Propje
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: REQ: Test website availability without adding to IIS log Reply with quote

Propje wrote:
Lazy as I am, I hoped for a simple solution that does not include stripping IIS log files before feeding them to the statistics software
Probably, your statistics software allows you to specify some filter options to filter out HostMonitor's useragent. In any case it is easy to write a simple .bat file that should "purge" the IIS logs of specified user agent, like:
Code:
type ex010203.log | find /V "KSHostMonitor" > ex010203u.log

Or something like that

Regards,
Max
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: