Request > Check for logged in user

Need new test, action, option? Post request here.
SplanK

Request > Check for logged in user

Post by SplanK »

Is there a function that can test a Windows 2003 Server for a logged in user...

IE If use "Administrator" (or other user) = logged in.... report good... if not logged on... bad ??

Ive just had a good look but could not see anything?

Thanks
Steve
KS-Soft Europe

Post by KS-Soft Europe »

I think, you may use "WMI" test method with the following query: "Select UserName from Win32_ComputerSystem"
In the "Test Properties" window you have to specify "Alert if any UserName is = to Administrator (or other user)" and mark "Reverse alert" option. http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mfra ... ts.htm#wmi

Regards,
Max
SplanK

Post by SplanK »

great stuff... seems to work..

This will be very usefull with one of our clients who wishes to have a backup user logged in which has limited rights and ensures that we dont forget to log it back in after we have finished under administrator..

however - if there is no user logged in what so ever, it just reports "unknown" and shows yellow colour. I would like it to show red at this point as well as the user not been correct

Ive set it up as the following which I would have thought would work following your link...

*Alert if "any username" = "administrator"
*If instance not available, set bad status

this is the bit i dont really understand as with the above.... it should mark the test as red if the logged in user is administrator... however it displays green as all is ok... if i reverse it.... it shows red hmm

I have also set up the optional status processing to see if the i can get unknown as bad...

Optional status processing:
*Treat unknown as bad - ticked.

but has not worked...
SplanK

Post by SplanK »

update... been playing around with it a bit more..

I just noticed that my server is returning "HARDING\Administrator"

I set the Alert if "any UserName" "=" "Administrator"

So... with it having the extra bit at the start - it threw me off a sec... so yes... that part functions perfectly now I have figured that out... but not been able to figure out the "if instance not available" mode... from the link - it says that if there is no text returned (IE no user information) then it would return a status that you set.... but it fails to do it... GRR!