test depends expression AND CPU / system load

All questions related to installations, configurations and maintenance of Advanced Host Monitor (including additional tools such as RMA for Windows, RMA Manager, Web Servie, RCC).
sine

test depends expression AND CPU / system load

Post by sine »

i've a question: if i set a test depends on expression (like %nn% = 15 for example) in the period that the test is "waiting for master" the test is cause of CPU load??

more general question: how does HM work??

every second loop all test and check if is enabled, then check conditions, then start the test? what's the workflow??

another question: test waiting for master and disabled test.....make the same cpu load??

tnx
KS-Soft Europe

Re: test depends expression AND CPU / system load

Post by KS-Soft Europe »

sine wrote:i've a question: if i set a test depends on expression (like %nn% = 15 for example) in the period that the test is "waiting for master" the test is cause of CPU load??
Actually, it shoud not cause to CPU load. Have you faced any problems with CPU Load?
sine wrote:more general question: how does HM work??
every second loop all test and check if is enabled, then check conditions, then start the test? what's the workflow??
No, it work in another way. Every test has its own schedule to perform the test at fixed time intervals. If it is time to perform the test, HM verifies launch conditions, like Master test status or expression. If launch condition has not been met, HostMonitors simply marks such test with the "Wait for Master" status. However, it depends on Synchronize counters and Synchronize status & alerts options
sine wrote:another question: test waiting for master and disabled test.....make the same cpu load??
Could you descrbe your problem? What exact problem have you faced? What tests are you going to setup? What expression are you going to use? If you want to use Master/Dependent test settings, please read carefully following manual article: http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mfra ... htm#Master

Regards,
Max
sine

Post by sine »

no problem....only curiosity :-)

tnx for the info
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Lets say any test item (even disabled) takes a tiny amount of CPU time. However 1 active Performance Counter test will use more CPU time than 100 disabled, paused or waitformaster test items.
In other words: if you have 1,000 disabled tests, don't worry about CPU. If you have 100 active "heavy" tests that should be executed every 2 sec, then you should think about resource usage.

PS Have you look at Estimate Load dialog (menu View)?

Regards
Alex