KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

RMA gets "301-Access denied" or other error

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert_in_MTL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: RMA gets "301-Access denied" or other error Reply with quote

Hi,

We have 5 different networks connected via VPN's and HM is in the main network.

Now I set up an RMA on 2 machines on every other networks (1 main, 1 backup agent), all are well managed by RMA Manager on HM server.

The ping test on other servers work as expected, but if I try to transfer a working test needing a login-password from HM to an RMA on that network, I always get 301-"something" like "cannot connect to remote registry" or "Access denied".

I use the connection manager, -->working from the main server.

Does HR transfer all necessary credentials to the RMA? (including DNS resolution?)

Do I need to set up something more in the Connection Manager?

Do I have to think differently when I set up a test using an RMA?

Thanks.
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: RMA gets "301-Access denied" or other error Reply with quote

Robert_in_MTL wrote:
The ping test on other servers work as expected, but if I try to transfer a working test needing a login-password from HM to an RMA on that network, I always get 301-"something" like "cannot connect to remote registry" or "Access denied".

Could you describe what tests do you try to perform by RMA and what exact error messages appear? "Access denied" means that RMA does not have necessary permissions to monitor target system. Is RMA started as service? You may specify admin account for the RMA serivice using standard windows Services applet (Control Panel->Services->"KS Remote Monitoring Agent"->Properties->"Log on"). "cannot connect to remote registry" means that "Remote Registry" service is not started onthe target system. Please ensure:
1) RPC service is started on the target systems
2) Remote Registry Service started on target system
If you are trying to perform CPU, Process, Performance counter tests, you should verify:
3) PerfOS.DLL is enabled on target system
4) PerfProc.DLL is enabled on target system
5) There are no firewalls between 2 systems (probably its not a problem in your case)
6) admin account has KEY_READ access to the following registry key on target system HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows_NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib

Do you see any other errors?

Robert_in_MTL wrote:
Does HR transfer all necessary credentials to the RMA? (including DNS resolution?)
HM transfer to RMA all necessary information. However, test is performed by RMA, so RMA resolves hostnames itself.

Robert_in_MTL wrote:
Do I need to set up something more in the Connection Manager?
Nope.

Robert_in_MTL wrote:
Do I have to think differently when I set up a test using an RMA?
You just should remember, that tests will be performed by RMA. So, you should specify all necessary information regarding the machine or network, where RMA is running.

Regards,
Max
Robert_in_MTL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: RMA gets "301-Access denied" or other error Reply with quote

Remember that I said
Robert_in_MTL wrote:
if I try to transfer a working test needing a login-password from HM to an RMA
I meant:
The tests are already working from the HM server... but not when changing "test by" to the agent.

Of course, all agents are started as service and all agents are working well from RMA Manager (All marked Operable):
Robert_in_MTL wrote:
all are well managed by RMA Manager on HM server.

Tried tests: CPU, Drive Space, Service, etc... => Actually, any tests requiring login+password (Because Ping test works from that Agent using only the server name for target).

It really looks like HM can use the Connection Manager settings but not the RMA...
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It really looks like HM can use the Connection Manager settings but not the RMA...

If you are using HostMonitor version 6 and RMA version 3, HM sends information (that you have specified using Connection Manager) to the agent. If you are using some old version, please tell me what exactly version do you use.

Please note: Connection information (login, password) tells HostMonitor and RMA what account should be used to perform network connect. However a lot of things depend on account that is used to run RMA. E.g. If you start RMA undel local system account, it does not matter what connection information you will provide using Connection Manager. RMA will not be able to establish RPC communication because Windows does not allow such calls for local system account.
Also, sometimes(?) Windows may ignore account information specified for network connection and use current user account instead (account that is used to start application). Why? Try to ask Microsoft. We did not find any explanation in manuals.
In other words - there is (a) connection information and there is (b) process permissions.
- you may specify (a) using Connection Manager,
- you should use account with necessary rights to start agent (b)

I assume you have specified admins account for HostMonitor using Service page in the Options dialog (if HostMonitor is running as service). Now you should do the same for agent using Windows Services applet

Regards
Alex
Robert_in_MTL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: RMA gets "301-Access denied" or other error Reply with quote

Hurray!

I created an admin user and Started the Agent as that guy and it works...

Using local system was the problem
Alex wrote:
RMA will not be able to establish RPC communication because Windows does not allow such calls for local system account.

I read carefully the Agent help before creating this topic and I did not see (or notice) anything about that, especially in the installation section, You should add it, I would not have taken your time.

Thanks a lot!!!
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You should add it, I would not have taken your time.

Yes, probably we should copy this part of the manual into RMA section as well.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: