KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Few questions with configuration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
r00t-shell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Few questions with configuration Reply with quote

First question:

I've tried to run an external program when a failure occurs but i see no mention of what path the program should be. Or what goes in the command line when setting up the alert. I saw "examples\SendEmail.exe" - but no where does it really state where it should be located on the hostmonitor box. I tried specifiy it explicitly with c:\SomeProgram.exe - but the logs indicate it couldn't find the program.

Second Question:

I've read through the directions nuermous time, and i just can't come up with a clear plan of how i should implement the following.

Scenerio: I run multiple tests for machines. Anyone test, or all of the test can indicate a problem ( machien went offline ). Example - If C: drive is running out of space i should call my external program to open a ticket specifically for that program.... BUT C:\ space test fails, and master test of PING fails then it's pretty evident that the server went offline - Call an external program to open a ticket.

Issue: I do not want to call the external program (open a ticket )for each test that failed, since they are all linked to one machine and i could potentially end up at time with the external program called 20 times (20 tickets for one machine)- but, at the same time i don't want to constrict myself to only being able to call the external test one time (open a ticket) when ping fails.

Any ideas on how i should set this up?

There might be a followup questions: But this gets me through the brunt of my configuration issue.

Thanks alot for any help given.
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Few questions with configuration Reply with quote

r00t-shell wrote:
I've tried to run an external program when a failure occurs but i see no mention of what path the program should be. Or what goes in the command line when setting up the alert. I saw "examples\SendEmail.exe" - but no where does it really state where it should be located on the hostmonitor box. I tried specifiy it explicitly with c:\SomeProgram.exe - but the logs indicate it couldn't find the program.
You should specify fully qualified program name (including full path). If path to the program contains spaces, like "C:\Program Files\...", you have to enclose it into quotes, e.g. "C:\Program Files\SomeFolder\someprogram.exe". You may include path to the program to PATH environment variable. In such case, you just should specify the name of the program, without path. If you specify path like "examples\SendEmail.exe", it means, that folder "examples" with "SendEmail.exe" program should be located in the folder, where HostMonitor is installed.
What account do you use to start HostMonitor? Does it have necessary right to execute programs or to access specified drive, where program is located? Is HostMonitor started as a service or as an application?

r00t-shell wrote:
Scenerio: I run multiple tests for machines. Anyone test, or all of the test can indicate a problem ( machien went offline ). Example - If C: drive is running out of space i should call my external program to open a ticket specifically for that program.... BUT C:\ space test fails, and master test of PING fails then it's pretty evident that the server went offline - Call an external program to open a ticket.

Issue: I do not want to call the external program (open a ticket )for each test that failed, since they are all linked to one machine and i could potentially end up at time with the external program called 20 times (20 tickets for one machine)- but, at the same time i don't want to constrict myself to only being able to call the external test one time (open a ticket) when ping fails.

As I understand, you have setup ping test as master test, and there are several dependant test, that may execute external program, but you do not want to allow them execute external program, in case master test fails, right? I think, you should disable "Synchronize status & alerts" option for all dependant tests.
Quote from the manual:
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#tests.htm#SyncAlerts
==============
When the option is turned on, besides synchronizing counters, the dependent test receives the status of the master test, which in turn will start action dispatching based on the status propagated from the master test.

Example: On your corporate network you have 10 web servers and 1 router that is critical to the entire network. A router Ping test is set up to page the administrator if the router does not respond. So when the router goes down, and the "Synchronize status&alerts" option is turned off, HostMonitor sends a message to the administrator's pager and suspends all dependent tests. If "Synchronize status&alerts" is on, in addition to the router problem notification, actions defined on the dependent tests will be fired off as well.
==============

Regards,
Max
r00t-shell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hostmonitor is started as a service. Which account it's running under i do forget.

But given those considerations adn what should be the proper format for executing a external program i will get it situated

Thanks for the timely response.
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r00t-shell wrote:
Hostmonitor is started as a service. Which account it's running under i do forget.

We recommend to start HostMonitor under admin account. You may specify certain account in Options > Service tab.

Regards,
Max
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: