KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Problem with action sequence

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stoltze

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Problem with action sequence Reply with quote

Hi,

I would like to reset recurrences on a test, it %LastStatus% was "Wait for master"

How can I do that?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid you cannot. %LastStatus% does not provide information about "inactive" statuses.

Regards
Alex
Stoltze

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

Thnx for the answer.

Perhaps you can provide me with a workaround..?

The problem is, that I'm testing using SNMP, which depends on a ping.
If eg the device goes down, then snmp will be "wait for master" and recurrences eg 234
Then device answer to ping again, SNMP is being testet, and recurrences is now 235 and status still good. But I would like to execute snmp-good action, so that I get ping-good-email saying device answers to ping, and an snmp-good-email saying that SNMP status is good.

As an alternative, I will have to write in the ping-good-email, that if you don't recieve an snmp-bad-email, then things are working as expected.
But this is not as nice, as the other one..

Any ideas...?
Yoorix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoltze wrote:

The problem is, that I'm testing using SNMP, which depends on a ping.
If eg the device goes down, then snmp will be "wait for master" and recurrences eg 234
Then device answer to ping again, SNMP is being testet, and recurrences is now 235 and status still good. But I would like to execute snmp-good action, so that I get ping-good-email saying device answers to ping, and an snmp-good-email saying that SNMP status is good.

I think, you may assign to SNMP test advanced mode action with expression like this: ('%SimpleStatus%=='UP') AND ('%::MasterPingTestName::SimpleStatus%'=='UP') AND (%::MasterPingTestName::Recurrences%==1) AND ('%::MasterPingTestName::LastStatus%'=='No Answer')

Of course, instead of MasterPingTestName you should specify real test name.

Regards,
Yoorix
JuergenF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Stoltze

I don't have a solution for your problem.
But I'd like to point out that this behaviour is absolutely OK.
When you don't get a "Bad eMail", things are fine.

Let's say you'll find 20 more tests in future for that single device. All that tests will depend on the PING test.
Do you really want to have 20 eMails that your dependend tests are fine ??

I don't think so.
Just trust the software, it will tell you what's wrong. (When you configure "Bad Alert" for all 20 tests.)

Best regards

Juergen
Stoltze

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JuergenF wrote:
Just trust the software, it will tell you what's wrong.

Hi Juergen,

It's not that I don't trust the software.. Not at all..

This is more because of the perhaps nontechnical people, who might recieve emails.

I think I just settle for the action when bad option..
Stoltze

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoorix wrote:
I think, you may assign to SNMP test advanced mode action with expression like this: ('%SimpleStatus%=='UP') AND ('%::MasterPingTestName::SimpleStatus%'=='UP') AND (%::MasterPingTestName::Recurrences%==1) AND ('%::MasterPingTestName::LastStatus%'=='No Answer')

Good suggestion, but I have several tests, that uses the same action profile, and therefore I cann't use this solution, to this case.
I need to use variables only...

Thnx for the answer!
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not see another solution (except advanced action with expression that refers to master test) either.

Quote:
but I have several tests, that uses the same action profile, and therefore I cann't use this solution, to this case

Not sure what exactly configuration do you use...
a) If you have several dependant tests (single master test) and you need this behaviour for several (all) dependant tests, then you may use single profile.
b) If you have sets of dependant tests (different master for each set), then you cannot use single profile. However you may copy and modify profile, right?
c) if you have single dependant SNMP test, then probably you don't need master Ping test at all?

Regards
Alex
Stoltze

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
Stoltze wrote:
but I have several tests, that uses the same action profile, and therefore I cann't use this solution, to this case

Not sure what exactly configuration do you use...
b) If you have sets of dependant tests (different master for each set), then you cannot use single profile. However you may copy and modify profile, right?
Option b is the correct one. So yes, I could copy the action profile, but I will prefer not to. Otherwise I will have to change actions several places.. Which off cause isn't very good.

So for now, I'm going for the snmp-test-again-and-still-ok no email solution..

Thnx for all the answers..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: