KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Quick log
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuickLogSize parameter does not affect single test quick log size. It allows you to specify size of the Quick Log for folders only. So, if you set QuickLogSize=400, it means HostMonitor shows up to 400 entries for the certain folder. If you see only 50 entries for the certain folder, it means, that no tests in that have changed their status since you changed QuickLogSize.

Regards,
Max
thomasschmeidl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Max and thanks for your prompt reply,

I analyzed the setting a bit more - these are my results:

Quicklog indeed can display up to 400 entries for a certain folder but obviously only 10 entries are displayed for each individual test (-> in a folder with 5 tests you can see max. 50 quick log entries).

This can be very misleading as there is an individual cut off time for every test in the folder quick log.

IMHO this behaviour should be changed.
Proposal: Always show the last n status changes (of the selected test or the selected folder including all subfolders)

Is this possible?

Regards

Thomas
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot agree with you. Quick log should be quick. Thats why HostMonitor stores just several records for each test item in memory (RAM) . If you need 400 records for each test, you may use Log Analyzer or log viewers. Log Analyzer is slow because it processes a lot of records. HostMonitor has different purpose, it should use system resources for efficient monitoring, not for log analyzing.

Regards
Alex
thomasschmeidl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand and I agree that quick log wouldn't be quick any more storing 400 records per test.

But I hope you can understand that the "QuickLogSize" does solve our problem not very thoroughly. Using "normal and "warning" status QL records only three events (OK - Normal - Warning - Bad) per test.

QL is much faster than LA (log analyzer) in detection of dependecies of faults (what happened first?)

Would it be possible to provide an (undocumented) variable "QuickLogRecordsPerTest" (default=10), so that every user can decide whether to have a fast and small QL or a medium-fast and bigger one (allocating more memory)?

This would be VERY helpful

Thanks in advance

Thomas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: