KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Win32 forcing 2nd instance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theikell

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Win32 forcing 2nd instance Reply with quote

I am running HM on Server 2003 Standard. I installed the app, then installed it again with the /installservice switch. It works fine but when I launch the app it will only run as a second instance. I see reference to this in the forums with respect to NT4.0 but nothing regarding Server 2003.

Thanks
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I do not understand your problem. Please explain

Quote:
It works fine but when I launch the app it will only run as a second instance

Of course application works as 2nd instance because 1st instance was started in service mode. What is the problem? If you want to start single instance in application mode, you may start service.

Regards
Alex
theikell

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem as discussed in this link:

How to open main window when running as service?

except that I DO have the "Allow service to interact with desktop" enabled yet I still do not have an icon in the systray and therefore I cannot access the UI of the service to change settings or look at stats. The only way I can see a UI is to launch the app and I get a warning it is starting a second instance and all of my tests are running twice, once from the service and once from the app.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you are running HostMonitor on local computer under Local System account and icon is not visible? Strange. Never heard about this problem on Windows 2003.
May be you have disabled "Icon in system Tray" option on Preferences page in the Options dialog? What version of HostMonitor do you use?

Quote:
The only way I can see a UI is to launch the app and I get a warning it is starting a second instance and all of my tests are running twice, once from the service and once from the app.

2 possible solutions discribed here: http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1100
1) Simple BAT file
2) Remote Control Console

Regards
Alex
theikell

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I found the link you referenced just before receiving your reply. I am on an RDC session, I'm sure that is the problem. I have tried to find the settings so I can log into the console but so far I have not been successful. If I am unsuccessful I'll just install VNC as I really don't want to hassle with the bat file and at this point I am only running 3 tests. I will be adding more but I won't come close to 50. I can't justify the extra $300 to go from the version I bought to the version with RCC.

Thanks for the quick reply.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am on an RDC session, I'm sure that is the problem

Of course. Service cannot display information on remote desktop.

Quote:
I can't justify the extra $300 to go from the version I bought to the version with RCC.

If you do not own Enterprise license, then update to RCC costs $150.
And of course BAT file costs nothing

Regards
Alex
theikell

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alex. I installed VNC and all is well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: