KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Outbound vs. inbound connections to HostMonitor from the RMA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdillon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Outbound vs. inbound connections to HostMonitor from the RMA Reply with quote

We use the RMA to monitor 50 different clients over the Internet. We are looking for a way to make it possible not to have to open any ports on the client's firewall.

We are using a differnt piece of software for different reasons that puts an agent on each monitored node and it "checks-in" wiht our server over the Internet and takes commands from the server. In this system we do no have to open any ports becasue the client is programmed to connect to us. Since it is an outbound connection we do not have to alter the firewall at the clients.

It would be tremendous if the RMA could be programmed the same way. Instead of how it is now where Host Monitor pushes commands to the agent it would much better for us if the RMA could "call" the Host Monitor server on a specified port and pick up commands, perform them and then return the resutls.

This would greatly ease administration for several reasons:

1) We would never have to debate the security of the Host Monitor agent becasue we would not have to alter their firewall for any inbound connections

2) We recently moved out Host Monitor server to a data center and had to manually modify each firewall we have access to to allow the new Internet address access through their firewall. (50+ firewalls)

3) We had a client change their Internet address withot talking to us and had to work with their firewall vendor to create a NAT for each monitored server and allow our IP address access to them through the Host Monitor port. This casued a disruption of our monitoring of the client.

All of these scenarios could be eliminated by changing the behavior of the RMA.

If you could add the ability for the RMA to be prgrammed to wokr this way it would be a huge advantage to us.

thanks,

tom dillon
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We plan to implement such option in version 6. May be 6.0

Regards
Alex
tdillon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Thanks so much Reply with quote

Alex,

That would be just great. I really can't tell you how much that will help our continued expansion of the software.

thanks,

tom
plambrecht

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

I'm not the only one
http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1807

Pieter
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This task is among 5 big tasks located on the top of my list. But we cannot work on big tasks only, for each major improvement we make 10 small changes. For example in version 6.00 we implemented just 3 major improvements. I think in this line (version 6.xx) we will implement another 3 big tasks.

Regards
Alex
Puck

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add to this. We are currently evaluating several products. Having the agents talk to the Manager server would really help with out decision. Not having to mess with clients firewalls would greatly speed up deployment of a monitoring solution. I have been leaning heavily towards Intellipool for this specific feature. The problem is HostMonitor beats it handily in every other aspect, Cost/Functionality/Support and User Community. Any idea when this feature may be implemented? I am testing the 6.0V2 beta and it does not appear to be a option just yet. If I can go to Managment and say "Yes" this feature will be available by End of Year this would seal the deal for us.

Thanks
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this option will be implemented within 1 year, may be by end of this year. But I cannot guarantee that.
I was sure we will have release of version 6 before June 15. But we don't have it becase some reports about memory leakage. And we can waste for this problem month or two because we cannot reproduce it at all.
So, you should not think about future options, look at software that we offer right now.

Regards
Alex
plambrecht

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

Any update on this topic ?
We are reviewing this package again (project stopped for over a year.. sig)
We really need to have the connection manner of the RMA changed.
The RMA has to connect to the HMA server, and not vica versa...

We use the RMA to monitor servers in networks that are seperated by the internet. It is hard for us to install dyndns on all networks and open ports on the clients firewalls

thx

Pieter
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, we have not implemented this option in version 6. We spent a lot of time for Links, Optional status processing and Views options.
New application should be implemented in version 7

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Wish list All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: