KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Setup HM to send an SNMP Trap to a management server

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatesra

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Setup HM to send an SNMP Trap to a management server Reply with quote

I am a little in the dark when it comes to sending SNMP traps. The question I have is this:

I need HostMonitor to send an SNMP trap to an HP openview management console when a test fails. Mostly I am testing all of our Win2k3 servers for free disk space and alerting when a certain threshold is reached.

I have read through the documentation and am hoping someone could point me in the right direction or share any configuration that may be helpful. What kind of a MIB would I use, What value, and what type would be used in a situation like this?

Thanks!
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, we do not use openview software, that's why I cannot provide much help
Marcus, I know you are using openview. Could you please help gatesra?

On the other hand, I think its good idea to post such questions on some openview related forum.

Regards
Alex
Marcus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution is as simple as beautifull
Just define your own MIB, using HostMonitor!

This is what we use as action parameters:

Action name: SNMP Trap (so we sent an snmp trap to our management server)
Destination Address: <ip of our OVO server>
Agent Address: %CommentLine5% (in our case we have the ip address of the remote server, the server that is tested, in commentline5. OVO will now place this message at the tested node, as if this trap was generated by the tested node, instead of the node running HostMonitor)
community: public (or whatever you want it to be)
Enterprise:65535 (unless your company has it's own enterprise number registered, I would use this one. The enterprise number is an integer value, and this is the highest value possible. This prevents you from using a number officially registered.)
Trap type: Enterprise Specific
Specific: 0 till 4 (this is the OVO severity)
0: Normal
1: Warning
2: Minor
3: Major
4: Critical
MIB OID: 65535
MIB Value: Type: %CommentLine1% - Item: %CommentLine3% - Extra: %CommentLine4%
By using commentliines for the MIB value, we use 1 action and define the MIB value at the test level. This makes it a very flexible action. The test defines the value, not the action!
MIB type: OCTET STRING

The trick is that by using enterprise specific trap type and enterprise id 65535, we are free to create any trap we want. By using commentline5 as the agent address, we only have 4 snmp actions which we can use for every server we test. The specific value 0 (Normal) is used as the "good" action. The other specific values define the 4 OVO severity actions. The "good" action (specific value 0) is used to automatically acknowledge a previous bad action.

Now after this, define this trap in OVO and set the severity corresponding the specific number and the MIB Value as the message to be seen in OVO.

The only problem here is that you must fill in the commentlines for every test you make. Fortunally this is solved by scripting new tests. When we need a new test, we run a windows command script, that creates a text file which can be imported into HostMonitor. This way, creating hundreds of new tests is done in a few minutes

If you need more info, just let me know......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: