KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Service Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fizbin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Service Question Reply with quote

I run HM as a service. However, it appears if I am not logged in no alarms are sent and the alarms that run external programs do not work. Did I do something wrong?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably service cannot perform tests due to lack of rights.
Have you specified admins account on Service page in the Options dialog (HostMonitor's Options dialog)?
Please check status of the tests by clicking on HostMonitor's icon that is visible in system tray.
BTW: You are running service on local system? Or you are using Terminal Server to access remote system?

Regards
Alex
fizbin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am remote desktop in to that server. I will look over the other items you said, but basically you're saying it should work, correct?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am remote desktop in to that server

It means you are not working with HostMonitor's service because service cannot display anything on remote desktops. Every time you log in to that system, you start another instance of HostMonitor in application mode. Right?
In a turn it means - if you have made some changes (added new tests, configured action profiles, etc) but you did not restart service, service doesn't know anythink about these modifications.

1) Please read following article: http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1100

2) Provide admins account on Service page in HostMonitor's Options dialog.

3) If alerts still don't work, check the logs and reports to see what is going on.

If you can log in to that system localy or you can use some 3rd party applications (like PCAnywhere) instead of Terminal Service, you may easily avoid these problems and work with service directly.

Regards
Alex
LordJezo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
Quote:
I am remote desktop in to that server

If you can log in to that system localy or you can use some 3rd party applications (like PCAnywhere) instead of Terminal Service, you may easily avoid these problems and work with service directly.

Regards
Alex

We use VNC here. It's free and does just what you are talking about.

I am using it right now, actually. Another option is to make a batch script to bring down the service, boot up HostMonitor, and then bring the service back up after you close the program. When I have no other option but to use remote desktop connection we use that. This way you can edit and configure things with out worrying about multiple copies of HM running and getting in the way of each other.

It's a simple 3 line batch script, you can make a shortcut to it right on the desktop:
Code:
net stop hostmonservice
"C:\Program Files\HostMonitor4\hostmon.exe"
net start hostmonservice

If you need to use remote desktop connection just use that.
vidyagana

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi :

I tried to enter the 3 commands specified in the above post in a batch file and I put that in the Startup of Windows. When the batch file is executed the following happens :

1. net stop hostmonservice -- Service stops
2. "C:\Program Files\HostMonitor6\hostmon.exe" -- after this the application starts and the command file is just hanging
3. net start hostmonservice -- never runs.

Also, what I am noticing is that now and then the application stops and does not do any monitoring and once I login to the server the application starts by itself. I am using Remote Desktop to connect to the server. Please help me resolve this.

Thanks.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. net stop hostmonservice -- Service stops
2. "C:\Program Files\HostMonitor6\hostmon.exe" -- after this the application starts and the command file is just hanging
3. net start hostmonservice -- never runs.

Of course. Service will be started when you close application.

Quote:
I am using Remote Desktop to connect to the server. Please help me resolve this.

Remote Desktop leads to problems. Use RCC
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/rcc/index.htm

Regards
Alex
vidyagana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So these 3 steps should be followed any time someone connects to the server through Remote Desktop or whenever the server is restarted ? Please let me know.

Thanks.
vidyagana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to connect through RCC and this is what I am getting

[10/26/2006 10:44:53 AM] Connecting... Ok. TCP Connection established
[10/26/2006 10:44:53 AM] Authentication... Failed. HostMonitor response: Authorization failed. Unacceptable IP address
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to execute such script manually only when you are already conneted to remote server through Remote Desktop. As LordJezo wrote above, you can make a shortcut and place it right on the desktop.

After you will have made necessary changes, you MUST close HostMonitor application. Service will be started after you close application.

So, you should perform following steps:
1. Connect to remote server using Remote Desktop
2. Execute foregoing script (manually).
3. Ensure the HM service is stopped
4. Make necessary changes using HM application.
5. Close application. (Important!!!)
6. Ensure the HM service is started.
7. Disconnect from remote server.

Anyway, using Remote Desktop may lead to problems. We recommend you to use RCC instead: http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/rcc/index.htm
RCC provides more convenient and reliable way to manage HostMonitor on remote system than using terminal services.

Regards,
Max
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vidyagana wrote:
Authentication... Failed. HostMonitor response: Authorization failed. Unacceptable IP address

You shoud setup properly user accout.
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#rci.htm#operators
Please, specify a list of IP addresses (address where RCC is running)authorized for remote connections for each of the accounts into the "Accept remote connection from" listbox.

Regards,
Max
vidyagana

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I have done ...

I created a new user "hostmonop" and accept remote connections from "10.35.103.1" which is my local machine and I opened RCC from my machine and specified the username hostmonop and password and clicked on connect when I got the error.

Thanks.

[/img]
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may use HostMonitor menu View > RCI Status to view the recent list of commands being send to HostMonitor.

Regards,
Max
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I created a new user "hostmonop" and accept remote connections from "10.35.103.1" which is my local machine and I opened RCC from my machine and specified the username hostmonop and password and clicked on connect when I got the error.

Please check your settings again.
Or may be there is some firewall between RCC and HostMonitor that translates IP addresses? Or may be you started application, made changes and closed application while service still works and don't know about the changes?

Quote:
So these 3 steps should be followed any time someone connects to the server through Remote Desktop or whenever the server is restarted ? Please let me know.

Do you understand what this simple BAT file is doing? It stops service, starts application and then starts service again after you close application.
When do you need that script? Anytime you want to stop service and start application.
Why do you want to start application? It was necessary long time ago when RCC did not exist. When you are using Remote Desktop you cannot work with interactive services directly because services cannot display information on remote desktop. In such case you need to start HostMonitor in application mode.
Now you may use RCC and work with HostMonitor without any 3rd party software

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: