KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

What is the Connect As format for a remote domain login?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blowery

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: What is the Connect As format for a remote domain login? Reply with quote

Hi. I am trying to run the CPU threshold & other tests using the Connect As feature against Win2K/Win2003 production systems which are located remotely at a hosting company. My Win2003 monitoring server running HostMon is located on domain DOMAIN1 while the servers I am monitoring are located on DOMAIN2. I cannot use HostMon's RMA to access the remote servers as my company is not allowed to install anything on the production servers for contract and other reasons.

I can't find the syntax for the Connect As to specify a domain name. I have tried using the following Connect As strings to connect using an admin account with Network Service credentials, but the CPU test always returns an Unknown status:

DOMAIN2\MonitorUser/password
DOMAIN2\MonitorUser,password
DOMAIN2\MonitorUser password

What is the correct syntax to use?

P.S. - The remote machine shows the following Security event log error when my test returns the Unknown status:

Failure Audit
Event ID: 560
User: NT AUTHORITY/NETWORK SERVICE
etc.

showing my failed login attempt as a user with Network Service credentials.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft says it should be "user@domain".
Password should be specified in a separate field (1st field is for username, 2nd is for password).
I would recommend to use Connection Manager (menu Profiles->Connection Manager) instead of "Connect as" option. This option was kept for compatibility.

Regards
Alex
blowery

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks! Really appreciate the prompt response. Exactly what I needed.

BTW, this is a great, well-thought-out product. I've introduced HostMon to a number of employers over the last few years and it's always come out a winner. The capabilities and flexibility of HostMon are going to save my company five figures worth of monitoring tools that do half as much. For a hosted production environment, its zero-client capability really helps from a business exposure and contract perspective, and that's a feature that's often overlooked by admins looking for monitoring and alerting tools but that concerned client and sales reps really like to hear. You can quote me on that if you'd like.

Any plans for a web-based GUI (that you can reveal)?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for review
May you copy it into "References & Opinions" forum?
http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=12

Quote:
Any plans for a web-based GUI (that you can reveal)?

We plan to develop multiuser Windows GUI. Its the same GUI we have now but with ability to start many instances on different system, each instance will work with the same database (central monitor).
Web based GUI will be implemented later. Actually we have Web Service but it does not allow to edit/add test items...

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: