KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

RMA/Performance Counters
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mfox

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: RMA/Performance Counters Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been using AHM for nearly 4 years now, but only for url and ping test. The need has arisen to get deeper into the program.

I've installed the latest version AHM 4.86 and RMA 2.02
My test environment has two machines - win2000pro and win2000 server. I can connect to both. On the Pro box I can get Pref counter info, but not on the server. I can get cpu and drive space reading on the server but not through pref counters.

This tells me the RMA is working on the server (to some extent) Preforms as expected on the Pro workstation.

I'm only running 3.71 in production, so all of this testing is on the trail version 4.86. I can't upgrade unless I know it will do what it's supose to.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My test environment has two machines - win2000pro and win2000 server. I can connect to both. On the Pro box I can get Pref counter info, but not on the server. I can get cpu and drive space reading on the server but not through pref counters.

Need more information:
- Which system has installed HostMonitor and which system has installed RMA? Probably HostMonitor is installed on some 3rd system? Where is installed RMA? On both systems (W2K Pro, W2K Server)?
- Do you perform Performance Counter test directly or using RMA?
- HostMonitor / RMA installed as service? application? What account do you use to start applications/services?

Regards
Alex
Mfox

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HostMon is installed on a 3rd system
RMA is installed on both the server and the work station
RMA is running as a service on both
HostMon is not running as a service in this test environment, but would in production.
"Local System" account is used to start the services.

Do you perform Performance Counter test directly or using RMA? Not sure what you mean. In HostMon the "test by" property is set to the agent on each box.

Thanks
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I understand configuration.
Recommendations:

1) do not use address at all or use address of the local interface when you setup Performance Counter test.
What I mean? The same counter (for local system!) you may specify in 4 different forms:
\\hostname\object\counter
\\IP.address.N.N\object\counter
\\127.0.0.1\object\counter
\object\counter
Its the same counter, but often Windows responds to 3rd and 4th request and returns error when you use 1st or 2nd form. Looks like some permission issue...

or
2) start RMA under administrators account instead of "local system". It should solve this problem and it will be useful when you want to use single RMA to monitor several systems.

Regards
Alex
Mfox

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

I had already figured out to use counters form a different machine. The problem with that work around is not all of my machines are running the same programs with the same counters (SQL, IIS, etc).

Changing the service to start as admin didn't fix the problem.

Thank you for you help and quick responses. If the work around is acceptable to upper management then we'll upgrade.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Changing the service to start as admin didn't fix the problem.

Recomendation #1 did not help either? Probably some counters are disabled. Try Extensible Performance Counter List utility, available at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7ff99683-b7ec-4da6-92ab-793193604ba4&DisplayLang=en
It allows you to disable/enable counters.

Regards
Alex
Mfox

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes #1 did work, but has limitations. I will also try the link you posted. Thanks again.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can retrieve \object\counter but cannot retrieve \\hostname\object\counter under admins account, probably Remote Registry Service is not started on the system

Regards
Alex
Mfox

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very possible, I'll check Monday.
Mfox

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remote Registry Service is running. I tried disabling it just to see what would happen. With RRS stopped, no data is returned to HM (tests fail)
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Performance Counter tests fail when you stopped service? Even tests that use local syntax (\object\counter)??? Its not normal

Regards
Alex
Mfox

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't testing on the local machine. If I stop the service on the remote machine that I'm testing then all pref counter test on that machine fail.

I used the local syntax to set the test and then change the IP to the remote machine. (localhost\object\counter --- 10.1.1.1\object\counter) This has been the only way I can set a test for a remote server.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wasn't testing on the local machine. If I stop the service on the remote machine that I'm testing then all pref counter test on that machine fail.

I am confused again. I thought you cannot retrieve Perf Counters from remote system. Now you say that it works unless you stop the service. So, what the problem is??

Quote:
I used the local syntax to set the test and then change the IP to the remote machine. (localhost\object\counter --- 10.1.1.1\object\counter) This has been the only way I can set a test for a remote server.

Do you mean that HostMonitor and RMA successfully retrieve counter VALUE from remote system but HostMonitor cannot retrieve LIST of the counters from remote system? List that appears in "Select a counter to monitor" dialog?
If yes, it means we did not understand each other from begining
Its by design. RMA does not provide list of the counters to HostMonitor. It will be implemented in future.

Regards
Alex
Mfox

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:

Do you mean that HostMonitor and RMA successfully retrieve counter VALUE from remote system but HostMonitor cannot retrieve LIST of the counters from remote system? List that appears in "Select a counter to monitor" dialog?

Yes--almost I can retrieve the counter list form workstations only (even remote) but not from servers. I know the counters are coming form the remote workstation because of the counters I'm seeing - (SQL) which is not on the monitoring box.

Quote:
If yes, it means we did not understand each other from begining
Its by design. RMA does not provide list of the counters to HostMonitor. It will be implemented in future.
Sorry for the confusion. Do you have a time frame for this implementation?

Right now the work around is to build a workstaion with the same software as the servers I want to monitor. I run the risk of needing software counters that may not run on a workstation. This is not pleasing my boss.

Thanks again.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. Do you have a time frame for this implementation?

Not very soon, probably in version 5.30-5.40

Quote:
Right now the work around is to build a workstaion with the same software as the servers I want to monitor. I run the risk of needing software counters that may not run on a workstation. This is not pleasing my boss.

Yes, not very good situation... But if you can login to server and check list of counters, you will be able to type name of the counter manually.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: