KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Windows Update/Virus Definitions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
siesenhauer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Windows Update/Virus Definitions Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone knew how I could monitor how up to date virus definition files (mainly for norton products, but any information is good) are and how up to date a computers windows updates are with snmp or some other method in Advanced Host Monitor. Thanks
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 posts with the same question? Imagine what happens if everybody will do the same

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone knew how I could monitor how up to date virus definition files (mainly for norton products, but any information is good)

You want to monitor how old files are? Or you want to know is there new updates for Norton Antivirus available?

In 1st case you may use "Folder/File Availability" test method. It can start alerts when file is older than ...

In 2nd case you may use HTTP or URL test method to monitor Symantec web site and start alert when content of the page is changed.
I think you need to monitor this page: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html
Use "Check CRC" and "Recalculate CRC when page content changes detected" options of the test.

Quote:
and how up to date a computers windows updates

Sorry, don't know good method.

Regards
Alex
Arilexed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

I think I need an mix of your two solutions. Which means I need to check if my installed virus definitions are the same as the one symantec released as last.

Example: My virus definitions are currently from 17-01-2005. If I check http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html I see that the latest released virus definitions are from 20-01-2005. So I need a test that would give me, in this case, the result "bad".

Gimme gimme gimme
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid HostMonitor cannot do that. You need some custom made script...

Regards
Alex
Arilexed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
I am afraid HostMonitor cannot do that. You need some custom made script...

Regards
Alex

Okay... so give me a custom made hm-script lol

But I can't be the first one wanting to check the virusdefinitions with HM. Anyone got some bright ideas?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you want to check Norton databases on remote systems because antivirus on local system can be configured for auto updates... Right?
So, probably you can check how obsolete database on remote systems relatively to database on your system? I think this script will be much more simply. Actually HostMonitor supports "Compare files" test that probably may perform such check.

Create script to check date on some web page is not very usefull, I think Symantec may change format of that page at any time. Most likely symantec web site processes some special requests to provide that information to Norton Antivirus but I don't have information about format of this request/responce. Do you?

Regards
Alex
Wooltown

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A suggestion is to use AutoIT, from http://www.autoitscript.com/ , with AutoIT, you can start/stop programs read the content of a window and write as well.

AutoIt has one limitation, you cannot have a screen saver, becuase it can only read and write the active window, but if your monitoring PC is in a locked room, there is no worry.

Regards
Sven
Arilexed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I think I'm trying to create an fully automated script for checking the definitions on (remote) systems.

I think it's gonna be something like:
Step 1. Setting up test1 "Receiving notification that new virusdefinitions have been released by Symantec (Status "Bad" e.g. action has to be taken)";
Step 2. Test1 depends on test2 "Only return status "Bad" if installed virusdefinitions are older than the current released virusdefinitions.

This way, whenever the virusdefinitions are older than the latest released virusdefinitions the test will give a "Bad" result.

If anyone has some bright input how above goal could be reached... Also, any thinking-out-of-the-box remarks are appreciated.

Regards, Arend
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Step 1. Setting up test1 "Receiving notification that new virusdefinitions have been released by Symantec (Status "Bad" e.g. action has to be taken)";

If Symantec changes this web page (http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/download.html) every time it releases new database, you may use URL or HTTP test method with "Check CRC" and "Recalculate CRC when page content changes detected" options

Quote:
Step 2. Test1 depends on test2 "Only return status "Bad" if installed virusdefinitions are older than the current released virusdefinitions.

File/Folder Availability test method allows you to check how old some files are.

Regards
Alex
kkern

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Testing for Windows Update Reply with quote

I didn't see anyone mention a solution for the Windows Update test, but here is what I do:

I have each server set up to download and notify me when an update is available. I have a process test watch for the following:

Alert when more than 0 "wuauclt" are running.

From what I have figured out, the little globe/Windows Update icon by the system tray comes from the wuauclt process. So if this process is running, 99 chances out of 100, there is an update to install. I can always tell when Patch Tuesday arrives .. all my servers go red.

I did notice one time this test went red, then back to OK. I'm guessing it was the wuauclt processing Microsoft's web site and finding nothing.

I also have a test to flag if I run the updates, but forget to reboot it.

Hope this helps ...
Keith
plambrecht

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To check the nbr of WU waiting, check this file:
C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate\catalog.xml
it's an XML file with the nbr of updates on the first line (ITEMCOUNT=)
A little vbscript can read that value..

Greetz

P.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys. I think this information can be useful for many people

Regards
Alex
vidyagana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have symantec anti virus installed on my system. The system I am monitoring has antivirus client installed on it and it has updates being pushed from another machine. How will I monitor if the virus definitions are up to date on the client?

Thanks.
vidyagana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

This is in regard to a response for this post earlier from "plambrecht" about getting the number of windows updates from a file catalog.xml from the node ITEMCOUNT. I am new to VBScript and I was wondering if anyone has a sample VBScript to read that value.

Thanks for your help.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may use XMLDOM class to work with XML document. I hope following article will be useful
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxml/html/beginner.asp

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: