KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Local reboot does nothing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Local reboot does nothing Reply with quote

I can successfully use the remote reboot action, but the local reboot does nothing. What does "local reboot" really mean? Is it supposed to reboot the computer executing the Host Monitor test or the computer being tested? It does neither one for me.

Thank you.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reboot the computer executing the Host Monitor.

Check the system log (specified on Advanced Logging page in the Options dialog). If HostMonitor cannot perform some action, it records error description into log.
Probably it doesn't have necessary permissions.

Regards
Alex
lr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Further clarification on "remote" v. "local&q Reply with quote

Thank you I will try your suggestion. But I still don't understand the difference between the two types of reboots. Do they both reboot the computer being tested, but in 2 different ways?

Thank you.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Local computer" is computer where HostMonitor is running
lr

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Clarification on processes to terminate on a remote computer Reply with quote

I have read the posted information on using the "force processes to terminate" option with a remote reboot action but it is not completely clear from the wording. If this option is used on a remote computer does Windows wait the specified time FIRST before it forces the termination or does it terminate the application immediately without any wait? If it does wait, how long is the "specified time"?

Thank you.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, its not completelly clear. Because Microsoft manuals do not provide enough information.
From my experience - Windows sends WM_QueryEndSession message to all applications, than it sends WM_QUIT message to all applications. So, applications have chance to save data. After some time (what time? I don't know, ask Microsoft), Windows terminates all applications that still active (if "force" flag is specified).

But as I said its my experience. Behavior may be different, depending on Windows version, Service Pack...
For example
- Windows NT 3.5 will not reboot if console is locked.
- Windows XP and Windows 2003 will not reboot if console is locked AND "Force processes to terminate" option is not enabled.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: