KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Remote Managing HM as a service when using MS Term Svcs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis Kane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Remote Managing HM as a service when using MS Term Svcs Reply with quote

I am evaluating HM 4.7 on a W2003 server. It is installed as a service. I have been unable to get RMI working, so am looking for a temporary way to remotely administer the server using MS Terminal Services.

Can I stop the HM service, start the app on the server desktop using the same Test file, modify the test file, save it, shut down the app on the desktop, and re-start the service and expect the changes to be picked up?

I guess the question is where does the service get its properties from. Are they all in the test file I specify in Options, Startup Options, Load file xxx?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can I stop the HM service, start the app on the server desktop using the same Test file, modify the test file, save it, shut down the app on the desktop, and re-start the service and expect the changes to be picked up?

If you need to configure HostMonitor on remote server using Terminal Service, we would recommend to create simple BAT file that will stop service, start HostMonitor in application mode and (after you change settings and terminate application) start service again.
Code:
net stop hostmonservice
"c:\program files\hostmon\hostmon.exe"
net start hostmonservice

Quote:
I guess the question is where does the service get its properties from. Are they all in the test file I specify in Options, Startup Options, Load file xxx?

Settings stored in the files. There are list of files used by HostMonitor:
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#other.htm#TechInfo
plambrecht

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you are using W2K3, you can use the RDP in console mode.
chenge your shortcut to your RDP client to
"%SystemRoot%\System32\mstsc.exe /console"

This way you can take over the console session, in stead of creating a new one.

Regards

Pieter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: