KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

"Play sound" through web services?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremysherriff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: "Play sound" through web services? Reply with quote

Hi all

I am looking to change from WhatsUpGold to Advanced Host Monitor, and am currently evaluating the product.

Something we find very useful in WUG is the web status console - I see I can do that using HostMon, but it does not allow me to have a sound played via the web browser when a test fails.

Am I missing something? Or will I need to write a custom script to add a sound into the HTML code somehow?

Your help is much appreciated..
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: "Play sound" through web services? Reply with quote

jeremysherriff wrote:
Something we find very useful in WUG is the web status console - I see I can do that using HostMon, but it does not allow me to have a sound played via the web browser when a test fails.

Actually, web service just provides web interface for HostMonitor and does not trigger any actions by itself. I am affraid, it is impossible for current version to play sound via web browser using Web Service.
Probably, RCC is more suitable solution in your case? http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/rcc/index.htm

RCC allows you to work with HostMonitor which is running on a remote system just like you work with HostMonitor when it is started on your local system. RCC replicates "Play sound" actions that were initiated by the HostMonitor and plays those sounds on the system where RCC runs.

Regards,
Max
jeremysherriff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Max

That's a shame, it's not hard to do. All it requires is some logic about non-acknowledged alerts to add <bgsound src="dead.wav"> to the HTML source. Do you think it's possible with a script?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, its not very hard to do. We have hundreds of "not hard to do" tasks, we cannot implement all of them in the same time. This task has medium priority, I think it will be implemented around version 7.0

Quote:
All it requires is some logic about non-acknowledged alerts

You want to play sound every time there is non-acknowledged test item? I think its more logical to play sound when some test changes status from "good" to "bad" or when "Play sound" action was executed.

Quote:
Do you think it's possible with a script?

HostMonitor does not send necessary information about started actions to Web Service so you cannot create such script.

Regards
Alex
jeremysherriff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks Max and Alex for your assistance on this.
Dubolomov

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to use playing sound on status change through web console. So i voting for this feature too.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have to redesign a lot of code in order to implement this "simple" option. Definitely this will not be done before version 7.0

Regards
Alex
gdvl

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for this feature too !
Furthermore, it's a great product !

Regards,
Gert
sneader

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Another vote Reply with quote

We use Web Service, in addition to e-mails, to alert us to problems. Having a simple "beep" when something goes bad would be awesome. I can appreciate that this isn't easy, but would like to throw a vote to this worthwhile addition, if it can be done.

Thanks for the great product!

- Scott
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: