KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Stopping and Starting Service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colstripcom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Stopping and Starting Service Reply with quote

I have installed HM as a service, and when I restart the server and log on it will show the GUI, (not sure if this is because i told it to place it in the startup folder) When I go into service manager and stop and restart the service, HM starts a proccess but no GUI. How can you manage it with out the GUI? Is this by design? Am I missing something.

Thanks,
Steve
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have installed HM as a service, ... not sure if this is because i told it to place it in the startup folder

So, you installed service AND you placed link to HostMonitor into startup folder? In this case Windows starts 2 instances of HostMonitor - one as service, another as regular application.
You should not do this.

Quote:
How can you manage it with out the GUI?

When HostMonitor started as service you should see icon in system tray. Click on the icon and GUI will appear.
If you do not see icon, something is wrong. Probably you log on to the remote system using Terminal Service?

Regards
Alex
colstripcom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have removed HM from stating via the startup group restared the server and no Icon, I do show a hostmin.exe in the processes tab in the task manager but no Icon. But if I go to look at the logs it is logging our down equipment. We just dont have no way to manage it. Also if I stop the proceess and then stop and restart the service the same thing happens.
plambrecht

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It might take a minute befor the icon appears (on my system anyway, W2K3 Server)

Other, as mentioned by Alex, how do you access your server ?
Through RDP, ICA ? or by the console ?
The Icon only shows on the console !
You should use VNC, PCAW, RAdmin
Or if you have a W2K3 server, try to add "/console" on the shortcut to your RDPClient.

Regards

Pieter

PS: the icon is a blue or red square with a heartbeat line (similar to eTrust Antivirus icon )
colstripcom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The server have been up now for a hour and no icon. I am accessing the server directly. w2k3 Enterprise edition.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably you have disabled "allow service to interact with desktop" option?

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you installed service and then made some changes, you may restore default service settings using 2 command:
Code:
hostmon /uninstallservice
hostmon /installservice

Or use standard "Services" applet to check options. Service must be started under "local system" account and "allow service to interact with desktop" option should be enabled

Regards
Alex
colstripcom

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect!!! I uninstalled and installed and it works now... thanks a million for the help!!!!
csk026

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Could not see system tray icon Reply with quote

I have the same problem.
When I use local system account i see the icon on the system tray,
But if I use "this acount" on the service logon I can not see the icon.
The account is belong to administrators accounts.
Please help.
Regards
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Could not see system tray icon Reply with quote

csk026 wrote:
When I use local system account i see the icon on the system tray, But if I use "this acount" on the service logon I can not see the icon. The account is belong to administrators accounts.
You may specify certain account to start HostMonitor service using menu "Options" -> "Service" tab. If you have specified account using windows "Services" applet you will not see the icon in the tray because the service is unable to interact with the desktop. Quote from the manual:
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#other.htm#Service
============================
Note #1: When HostMonitor starts as a service, it uses the system account (as all interactive services). But this account may not have all the necessary permissions, so some tests will not work correctly (UNC test, "disk free space" test for shared drives, "CPU Usage" test for remote machines, etc). If you need these tests, you will need to assign a special user account on the Service page in the Options dialog. In this case HostMonitor will impersonate the security context of the user. Do not change the account using the system utility "Services". If you do so, HostMonitor may be unable to interact with the desktop.
============================

Regards,
Max
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: