KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Discover hosts by NT Service
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hamoja

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Discover hosts by NT Service Reply with quote

Is there a way to create multiple NetBios/UNC tests for serveral servers for a specific service running on NT rather than individually?

Example, If I have 200 servers running antivirus service I would like to have that service monitored and restarted upon a failure. Presently the service crashes whenever the Windows service parameter is used to restart the service upon first or subsequent failures. On the other hand, Ksoft restarts it just fine.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how you can monitor a service using "UNC" test. Probably you are talking about "Service" test?
If you need to create many similar tests, use Replicator: http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/replicator/index.htm

Regards
Alex
hamoja

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect for creating similar tests which are UNC based. Questions:

1. How can I create similar alerts for each test using replicator?

2. Why some of my 200 newly created tests status are unknown? if they are tested individually, status reply OK
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2)
Could you please provide more information:
- What test method do you use? UNC or Service?
- HostMonitor version?
- Windows version?

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) How can I create similar alerts for each test using replicator?

I think you don't need replicator at all. You may use the same alert profile for all 200 tests bacause you may use macro variables: http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#actions.htm#macro
Variables represent parameters of the test that had triggered an action.

Regards
Alex
hamoja

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a service test although it appears that the tests connects to logonservers using UNC ('\\servername")..

I just upgraded to version 4.6 and am still seeing unknowns on a bunch of servers. Like I mentioned before, if unknown tests are ran individually, status changes for each to OK.

Is this a bug?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am using a service test although it appears that the tests connects to logonservers using UNC ('\\servername")..

Yes, of course.

Quote:
I just upgraded to version 4.6 and am still seeing unknowns on a bunch of servers. Like I mentioned before, if unknown tests are ran individually, status changes for each to OK.
Is this a bug?

Its not HostMonitor's bug. May be timeout issue if you have highly loaded network or you monitor remote network using dial-up connection...
- what Windows do you have installed on local/remote systems?
- Service Pack?
- do you monitor local or remote network?
- as I understand you monitor a few services on many systems?

Regards
Alex
hamoja

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by hamoja on Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
hamoja

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My network communication to core is switched 100MB full duplex. Program runs on a 2Ghz P4 w/512MB of RAM system on Windows 2000 SP4

Quote:
- what Windows do you have installed on local/remote systems?
- Service Pack?
- do you monitor local or remote network?
- as I understand you monitor a few services on many systems?".

- Windows NT4/2000 /SP4 + latest hotfixes
- Both - Mostly local
- Yes, currently 80 systems being monitored for that particular service. I have at least 270 various tests so far

Also, which macro variable do I need to use for my action parameters "Restart service on" for each system service failure
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, which macro variable do I need to use for my action parameters "Restart service on" for each system service failure

%ServiceComp% The name of the target computer
%ServiceName% The name of the service

Quote:
- Windows NT4/2000 /SP4 + latest hotfixes

Problem relates to NT4 and 2000 systems? What system is installed on Domain Controller? May be some problems with authorization...

Regards
Alex
hamoja

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My enviroment is Windows 2000 w/AD. If there was a authentication or authorization problems, why is it that when each test is ran individually the results are anything other than unknown?

This is very puzzling.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My enviroment is Windows 2000 w/AD. If there was a authentication or authorization problems, why is it that when each test is ran individually the results are anything other than unknown?

I don't know. Probably 50% of our customers use Service test and they do not have such problem. We did not experience such behavior either.
Windows Service Control Manager can process many simultaneous requests. May be you have some antivirus software that drops connections when system receives many requests at the same time? Any other non standard software?

Regards
Alex
hamoja

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We did not experience such behavior either.

How many service tests are you running of the same type to validate that statement?. Simliar or more than?. I have created 300 more TCP/IP tests today without seeing these types of issues. Apparently the problem is in the service tests, also I need to create an additional 400 more tests for the same type of service.

Are you saying that the problem exists elsewhere besides the hostmonitor application?. My server meets more than the standard requirement for KS monitor and antivirus is not hindering existing TCP tests created today, so then what other suggestions you have?
Marcus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Have you looked at the security logs of your target servers. Most likely you are using two different accounts. Unless you mean that selecting more than 1 test to perform has a different result than running eacht test one by one. In that case I have no clue

Unknown simply means it can not query the service for a status. So it must be an authentication / authorisation problem.

Quote:
How many service tests are you running of the same type to validate that statement?.

We are running thousands of service tests (on hundreds of servers). No problems, as long as the account we use for HostMonitor (we are running HostMonitor as a service) is a local acount on the server (domain validation does not work on non domain controllers).

Quote:
have created 300 more TCP/IP tests today without seeing these types of issues. Apparently the problem is in the service tests

This sounds like an authentication problem again. To be able to run the service test, you must have a valid account on the target server. TCP/IP tests don't know users......
hamoja

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you looked at the security logs of your target servers. Most likely you are using two different accounts. Unless you mean that selecting more than 1 test to perform has a different result than running eacht test one by one. In that case I have no clue

All servers are member servers of a single domain. I am using a single administrative domian account for all tests, hostmonitor runs all test concurrently which results in "unknowns" for a handfull of servers that are members of the same domain and using the same NT account which is not specified per test. I haven't yet added the soon to be others providing that this application functions.

If these tests are ran one at a time, the results are OK, normally a problem with authentication from the same account usually follows by a failure in all tests, including ones indivdually ran. So the account is obviously not locked as the other tests are successful.

I would like to know who else is running over 400 service tests without these type issues and if possible post their server configuration. You claim hostmontor can monitor over 800 service tests but I am yet to see a successful post on this matter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: