KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

same problem as mattb but with url request and NTLM auth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saroumane

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: same problem as mattb but with url request and NTLM auth Reply with quote

I need to implement the new version of hm 4.42 and i experienced the same problem with the url request test.
The sites that we tests are configured with NTLM authentication.
When i start HM as app no problem, when started as service -> no answer.
In event log i see a message saying that HM has started with the good user account configured in options-services but the results are bad.
Why??

For the moment we have an old versions of HM in production and i have long time ago configured HM to run as a service with a special account but not in the option-services, just in control panel-services and specify the account to log in and it's working perfectly.
I tested this manneer with HM 4.42 and it's the same, it's working with an account configured in services-log as but not another way...but this way HM can't interract with the desktop because we specified another account thant system. The impersonation of user doesn't seem to work with NTLM request url, if i configure the site in anon ->ok.

do you have an explaination?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I need to implement the new version of hm 4.42 and i experienced the same problem with the url request test.
The sites that we tests are configured with NTLM authentication.
When i start HM as app no problem, when started as service -> no answer.
In event log i see a message saying that HM has started with the good user account configured in options-services but the results are bad.
Why??

I don't know
HostMonitor impersonates specified user account (in service mode) for URL test method since version 4.16
May be it doesn't work for some versions of wininet.dll... What version of Windows and IE do you use?

Regards
Alex
saroumane

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: maybe a problem like that... Reply with quote

We use IE 5.5 sp2 in w2k environment with some hotfixes and security fixes. (Q828750). Wininet.dll version 5.50.4918.600
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatelly we did not find explanation of this problem yet
HostMonitor impersonates specified user account but ....
saroumane

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: ok thanks Reply with quote

I've reproduced and tested many times and the result is the same; the solution for us is to use the old method in our production environment: specify a user account in control panel-administrative tools-service, log on as: "technical account" and start the service, this way it's working properly but we have to stop, start as application mode to make modifications then restart the service...
I will test another time in our future testing win2003 environment.

Just another question, could we add and configure tests in web interface in future versions?

best regards
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
this way it's working properly but we have to stop, start as application mode to make modifications then restart the service...

It could be a little annoying. But you may use some BAT file, e.g.
Code:
net stop hostmonservice
"c:\program files\hostmon\hostmon.exe"
net start hostmonservice

Quote:
Just another question, could we add and configure tests in web interface in future versions?

We plan to implement this option but not soon. Version 5.0 or later

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: