KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Version 4.46 Beta - Hangs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sadek76

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Version 4.46 Beta - Hangs Reply with quote

I had a problem before with the manual html code. You sent me a beta version 4.46. Over this weekend had major problems with the application. I would say about 90% of the tests I have set up, were failing. I tried restarting the app., restarting the service, rebooting the machine with no good results. After checking your message board I saw that someone had a problem with ver. 4.47 hanging as well. I found and installed your latest version 4.48 and I'm currently running it. I'll let you know if I run into any hanging problems.
sadek76

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I wouldn't really say that the application was hanging. What was happening was when the PC started up, I received a Event Log message saying that the Advanced Host Monitor service hung on starting. When I checked the service it said that it was running. 90% of the tests showed a failed state. I tried to refresh the tests, but they remained failed.

Last edited by sadek76 on Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
sadek76

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installed the application as a service and again, about 90% of the tests are failing now. I then unstalled the appliaction as a service, restarted it and everything is now passing.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So tests fail when HostMonitor started in service mode but tests work when HostMonitor started in application mode. Right ?
Have you specified account (that has necessary permissions) on Service page in the Options dialog (HostMonitor's Options dialog)?

Regards
Alex
sadek76

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - Tests fail when started in service mode. I changed the options setting and added my username and password. I have full admin privledges. Received same results. The tests that are failing is using the UNC method. These tests were working prior to July 3rd without the username option set. I also have a duplicate server running version 4.46, without the username option set and it's working fine.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last change related to UNC test method was made in version 4.32 (Connection Manager support). There are no difference (I mean UNC test) between versions 4.40, 4.42, 4.46, 4.48...
Probably you have installed some new Windows patch?

Could you check Event Log? Do you see "Logged on as user <username>" message from HostMonitor?

Could you enable "Show errors description in Reply field when cannot access resource" option and check error message? Option located on Miscellaneous page in the Options dialog.

Regards
Alex
sadek76

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the event log I see Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password. But we never used this option before. I turned on the other options that you requested, but don't get any new pop up messages or windows. I'm also checking to see if this server was patched recently.
sadek76

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My server was not patched or upgraded this past weekend, only thing done on it was reboot it.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In the event log I see Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

Please check user name and password that you have specified on Service page in the Options dialog. UNC test does not work because HostMonitor cannot impersonate user account and still works under "local system" account.

Quote:
But we never used this option before

You should.

Quote:
I turned on the other options that you requested, but don't get any new pop up messages or windows.

There are no popup message. You should see error description in Reply field of the test item.

Regards
Alex
sadek76

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex I think that might be the cause. The username that we use to check our other servers is in a different domain as the server thats running hostmon. I specified the correct domain name, username and password and found out that the users account is locked. I'm getting our NT group in charge of that domain to unlock the user.

Quote:
Can I use this option instead of specifying the username and password in each test?

Quote:
Dah... That would have told me right off the back. It say's "Access is denied." I'll have to move that column more to the left, so I can see it right away next time.

Should I continue to run the 4.48 beta or back down to 4.46. Also when is the next full version being released. Is there a limit of tests I should run or is that hardware dependent. I have about 600 tests running on this one server.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Alex I think that might be the cause. The username that we use to check our other servers is in a different domain as the server thats running hostmon.
Can I use this option instead of specifying the username and password in each test?

No. Account that you specify on Service page defines what account will be used to start HostMonitor. You should use some local account or local domain account.

To specify accounts for some tests/resources use Connection Manager dialog (menu Profiles->Connection Manager).

Quote:
Should I continue to run the 4.48 beta or back down to 4.46.

Its up to you. There are no difference for UNC test.

Quote:
Also when is the next full version being released.

I hope within 3 weeks.

Quote:
Is there a limit of tests I should run or is that hardware dependent. I have about 600 tests running on this one server.

You may have million of test items if your license allows. But question is how often HostMonitor must perform your tests. Use Estimate Load dialog (menu View) to check estimate load of the system.

Regards
Alex
sadek76

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, The user account has been unlocked and all tests are running fine now. We have a license for 20,000,000 tests. I'll never reach that limit, but would love to see a PC handle it. I'll continue to use the 4.48 beta version, until the next full version is released.

Thanks Again!
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: