KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

File availability test
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
V Arun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: File availability test Reply with quote

Alex,

I am currently working on a new requirement that has come up. Basically to check for the presence of a new file and if conditions meet, set up an action to transfer the file to another location. Also to confirm if the transfer was successful. There are over 130 remote locations to which I need to perform this test. I have been testing with "File/Folder availability test" and "Compare files test".

So far so good. But there is a challenge. The source file name keeps changing everytime. In this case, what do I check for ? What do I compare with ? Can we have an option to define the filenames in the form of a UserDefinedVariable ? I will be setting up 130 tests and in each I will just define this variable one time. In this case I can setup an operator to telnet to hostmonitor and execute a simple command to insert the right filename as a UserDefinedVariable.

Highly appreciate your reply OR any other suggestion that you may have.

Thanks,
Arun.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does filename depend on date? Or it changes by other algorithm?

Regards
Alex
V Arun

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

This file is generated by an application and the filename contains some random 'alphanumeric' characters which the application remembers and keeps track of it. We are an oil company and the company issues its own credit cards for using at all gas stations. This file is just a plain text file containing 'hotlisted' cards and it needs to be sent accross to all filling stations at regular intervals. Each time the list is modified, the application generates a new file with a new name.

This means, on any given day, this file could be generated multiple times and each new file needs to be pushed to all sites immediately. Upon which, I will setup another file check/compare test to confirm proper delivery.

Regards,
Arun
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think option that you need could be implemented in next version

Regards
Alex
boxy_25

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: tips Reply with quote

Hi,

You can use robocopy (Windows ressources kit) to copy your file to the other location. You've got lots of options like /MIR so that all your directories will be mirroring.
So you wouldn't need to monitor.

Cédric.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update available at www.ks-soft.net/download/hm447d.zip
Now you may use User Defined Variables to specify folder/file for the following test methods: Folder/File Size, File/Folder Availability, File Compare, Count Files, Text Log
Of course "Translate macro" option should be enabled

Regards
Alex
V Arun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boxy,

Thanks a lot for the suggestion. In this particular case, there are over 140 remote locations and these are on dial-on-demand VPN. As such, they are not ON all the 24 hrs. Also, this operation is user initiated and on-demand. With Host-Monitor, I can enjoy customizing with the fantastic Schedules, Actions, Reports etc etc.. I can setup those 140 individual tests and a simple operator can refresh and see the results online with those wonderful 'green' and 'red' indicators. Also, various Alerts can be automated upon specific conditions.

Alex,

I have tried the Update and it works. Thanks a lot for your great support.

I want to setup a user profile and the only right the user should have is to modify/change a 'user defined variable'. I tried adding 'manage action profies' and it works. But the user gets right to all action profiles. Any way to fine tune it? Basically, this user will insert the right filename as a variable and refresh tests/folder. The user should not get any other rights.

Regards,
Arun
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Global Macro Variables and Action Prifiles have the same security level because actions use variables anyway.
I have added your request into "to do" list as suggestion. But I don't think it will be implemented in nearest versions.

Regards
Alex
V Arun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

Its not a burning issue as such. Can wait. No problems.

I am in the process of automating a telnet procedure to insert this variable. Some interactive session which will just ask for username,password and just the variable. Any suggestion/advise ?

Is it possible to log the entire session including the commands, the parameters entered and the date/time ?

Highly appreciate.

Regards,
Arun
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am in the process of automating a telnet procedure to insert this variable. Some interactive session which will just ask for username,password and just the variable. Any suggestion/advise ?
Is it possible to log the entire session including the commands, the parameters entered and the date/time ?

There are many telnet client utilities, some of them support scripting and may be logging http://www.snapfiles.com/shareware/network/swtelnet.html
Hope it will be useful

Regards
Alex
V Arun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

Thanks a lot.

Just one more requirement regarding 'Compare files'. While doing 'Compare files' test and searching for a string, can we provide a UserDefinedVariable as the string? I tried, but didn't seem to work.

Highly appreciate.

Regards,
Arun
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works but you need to mark SECOND "Translate macros" option. This option is not visible when "File contains string" or "File does not contain string" alert mode is selected.
So, choose "Files are different" alert option, mark second(!) "Translate macros" option and switch back to "File contains string" alert mode

Regards
Alex
V Arun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

It works!! Thanks a million. But, any way to feed multiple strings with an expression?

Regards,
Arun
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean you want to look for file that has (somewhere in the file) 1st string and 2nd string (somewhere, different place) and 3rd string ...
Or you want to search for several lines that follow each other?

Regards
Alex
V Arun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

The first option. 1st string somewhere and 2nd string somewhere else, but in the same file. Below is the actual line I am analyzing from a log file. This will be the only line in the file each time it is generated.

23/06/2004 03:02:14:6008 row(s) imported from the data file, c:\backoffice\hotcard\HC711621.HCF

In the above line, the most significant parameters for me are the strings "imported" and "HC711621.HCF <filename>". If these two are found, then the result should be good. As mentioned earlier, the filename is different each time and this will be fed through a UDV and 'imported' could be different if process failed.

Regards,
Arun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Wish list All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: