KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

KS-Soft = Fly by night?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oddible

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: KS-Soft = Fly by night? Reply with quote

This product looks great! I see a list of some of the largest companies in the world which are using it. Yet, there are no testimonials from any representatives of these companies. Also, there is no address or any information at all on this company, KS-Soft. The only way to get in contact is email. Perhaps this is oversight on KS-Soft's part, but in viewing this website, it's hard for me to judge if this is a weathered software company that is going to be around for a while or if this is a fly-by-night. I'm also seeing some great feedback on the forum, but the oldest post on the forum is just over a year old. Of course this could be due to use of a new forum software. It just seems strange that KS-Soft hasn't gone to more lengths to make this organization look like it's a stable software provider that is available to its customer base. I really don't care if this company is one guy coding in his underwear in his livingroom, but with so little to hold onto I'm left feeling that there is zero accountability.

Had to dig into WHOIS to get even this:
Kozlov, Alexander (KS-SOFT2-DOM)
Advanced Network Software
15 East North Street
Dover, DE 19901

Will try out the demo, just writing this as a suggestion to chat with a marketing expert or something about giving your website some credibility and accountability. Now it has a feel like it's a complete fake and could be gone tomorrow; absolutely the largest companies in the world listed with zero testimonials and no address or accountability info at all. How about an 'About KS-Soft' link or something?!?

Software looks sweet though!
timn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddible

'Fly by night'? Nope. Definitely not. Different? Yeah. More companies should be this 'different'.

As a network admin, I can speak only for myself but I purchased AHM for my company about six months ago and I have been very impressed. There are certainly differences in the way AHM is marketed and supported (from other similar products) but I find these differences mostly positive.

FYI, we purchase AHM to replace What's Up Gold (by Ipswitch). Not only was AHM cheaper by half but it was much more flexible and powerful. We have roughly a hundred servers/routers/devices. Currently, AHM is configured with roughly 2,750 tests.

First, the cost of AHM is extremely competitive when compared to similar products. Sure, you could double or triple the price and then aford to hire a big-time agency but in the end, this ads no value to the product.

Next, the product is supported maily via this web forum. This has its limitations and may not be the best for a few companies, but having used this forum several times over the past few months, I found the support available here better than most 'Fortune 500' companies I have to deal with.

For example the telecom company we buy our bandwidth from spends millions promoting itself. In the end however, Alex, all by himself, provides service superior to that available from our telecom.

BTW, the cost to purchase the AHM licence is insignificant compared to the cost of
the time you will spend designing and constructing your tests and alerts. For this reason, the forum here is exteremely valuable as other AHM users will gladly jump in and offer time-saving suggestions.

AHM is a lot like a Swiss Army Knife for testing... a toolchest from which a very good set of monitoring tests can be built. Like any good tool, it takes a bit of time and effort to become familiar with how it functions.

But, if you are willing to read the manual and learn the tool, you'll find Alex and the users on this forum extremely helpful....

Last edited by timn on Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to timn:

Thank you for support

to oddible:

Oldest post on the forum is just over a year old because we installed forum software just a year ago. However our web site located at www.ks-soft.net for about 5-6 years.
You are right we do not have good marketing. Actually we do not have any marketing but its not a problem - about 60% of our customers bought our software by reference from a colleague or friend. So, we don't need to spend money for advertising

to everybody:

Anybody here use our software for more than 4 years? Please respond
Of course I can easily check our database. But I don't think its possible to publish contact information without permissions.
Interesting that over 90% of customers never send e-mail and never post any question in the forum. Probably they do not have any problem with software.

Regards
Alex
oddible

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I appreciate the response. The activity on the forums is often testimony enough. Just seemed weird to me that a software producer (and I work for one as well) would have a 'Lifetime' upgrade path but not even an 'About Us' section on their website - doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in a world where there are as many internet scams as there are web sites. I don't need the marketing or the prettified website, just some solidity in the organization that I'm giving my money in hopes that a year from now (or whenever) when I follow the endless Windows upgrade and patch paths that KS-Soft will be there with updates to ensure proper functionality.

Installing the demo today...
boxy_25

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:40 am    Post subject: comments Reply with quote

Hi,

To Oddible : I've bought HM in about 2 years ago and I just can say it's a very wonderfull soft....
It's lite, cheap, but it does so much things. And don't worry for the support, Alex always give a response in a day.
And other thing, I show HM to administrator's friend, and they bought it....

Cédric.

PS: excuse my poor english.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The activity on the forums is often testimony enough

Actually forum has lower priority, e-mails have higher priority. Every day we have 30-50 e-mails (plus 400-600 letters from spammers and viruses) and usually we respond to e-mails before we check the forum.
But often answer to e-mail is very simple - just quote from the manual

Quote:
I don't need the marketing or the prettified website, just some solidity in the organization that I'm giving my money in hopes that a year from now (or whenever) when I follow the endless Windows upgrade and patch paths that KS-Soft will be there with updates to ensure proper functionality.

I cannot guarantee KS-Soft will exist forever (or even for 1 year) but I don't see any reason that can force us to close company. KS-Soft is debt-free company. We do not owe anything to anybody except our customers.

Regards
Alex
FLynch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

As someone who has been involved in network administration for over 10 years I have found that both the software and the company are of great value.

The former because the system works well, is low cost compared to the competition and can monitor all the applications and systems we run.

The latter because support questions are always answered in a timely manner and suggestions are taken on board and become features in new version of the applications.

Hope this helps
Fergus Lynch
eric_martin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Fly By Night? Reply with quote

No way. You want a testomonial you can contact me at
ECR International
EMI Division
315-356-5103 (direct to my desk)

I was put in charge of finding a network monitoring program for our corporation. We have 5 locations in 3 States and 2 Countries and this started out to be no easy task at first based on the Director of IT's request. I tried a few different packages and then came accross Host Monitor. I installed it on one of the servers at our Corprate Headquarters, this was done remotely by the way, added a few RMA's using some remote servers and off I was. Within 30 minutes I was monitoring 10 servers in 3 locations. I then added some tests and was impressed at how easy they were to setup. If I did end up having a problem I just posted a message on the forum and within 24 hours I had a answer back from Alex. Most of the time it was within a couple hours. After 20 days of playing with it I show the Director Host Monitor and 2 other products from simular companies, showed him the response times from all 3 companies as to my questions and immediatlely he said "Host Monitor is exactly what I am looking for". Host Monitor has saved our corporation numerous times now from minor to fatal errors befor they effected everyone. I would not switch to anything else for the world.

Eric Martin
Systems Administrator
ECR International/EMI Division

Alex;
If you want a more professionally written testomonial or better yet, one from the Director of IT for ECR International, just let me know. We will give you one anytime.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the best testimonial is the one that was written spontaneously. Thank you

I hope you will not receive to much disturbing phone calls (most of customers does not visit the forum). If I am wrong, just let me know - I will remove your phone number from the post. Or we should make you a reseller offer

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS
May be we should create new forum "References" (or better "Opinions"?) and move some topics from other forums. I think we have posts with various opinions in each forum.
genasea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Great service and great product Reply with quote

I will second the idea that this is a great product and we also get better support here than on our large packages from 'reputable' companies.

Another HUGE advantage is the ability of Alex (and his developers) to add features (requested by individual users) at a rate that makes other software companies look like they are dragging a large anchor.

We have had the product for more than 2 years and are continuing to rely on it every day of the week.

Many of the companies in this field with the big marketing budgets are now long gone, or swallowed up by other conglomerates and the software is now a 'module' within their suite of products costing 5 times more than when it came out with no additional value.

From a value vs. cost perspective I rank this software and company a 10 out of 10.
celta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Host Monitor Reply with quote

Despite i have only convinced my company to acquire Host Monitor(HM) less than a year ago, i have been using HM for about 3 years. I have no complaint whatsoever on this software or on its support. I am currently monitoring 9 sites in portugal using many of the test possibilities on HM. I am alerting to cellphones also the critical tests of the corporation.

One last Remark: The Company where i work have free lincensing agreement with Microsoft, Tivoli, ArcServe, etc, etc... But to monitor our "stuff" we chose HM. It took some time but i convinced them that HM was what we needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kvnsdr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Not Fly-By-Night Reply with quote

ks-soft's HostMonitor is the best investment I ever made. That's my testimonial from a networking business owner.
DLCE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Unbeatable Reply with quote

An old thread, I know, but....

Don't let the lack of flashy website fool you, Host Monitor is the best-supported application I have ever used, bar none. Want a feature? Ask. I was amazed when I made a suggestion and the very next revision had it in there, amazing! I have had Host Monitor since version 3.x (how long is that Alex? Five years? More?). By day I am an admin with Textron Financial - 250+ servers across ten locations from Rhode Island to Oregon and years ago they were looking for an "enterprise monitoring solution" that covered Windows and Unix boxes, they were looking at $100,000K+ solutions. Dragging their feet, I begged and annoyed them into picking up Host Monitor as a "stopgap". Years later they have had no need to spend big dollars on something else, and Host Monitor has moved from my desktop to it's own dedicated server. MS Exchange queues, disk free space, server/routers being up, critical services (antivirus, etc)....all monitored with this awesome, incredibly affordable little program.

I have my own consulting firm as well, my client base includes the City of Cornelius, Oregon. If you've read this far there's no need to guess what I use to monitor their servers, firewalls, router and PC's. The replcation tool is priceless as well. I could go on...

Dave Lum - DLCE
www.datsuns.com/dlce
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DLCE,
Thank you for reference

Quote:
I have had Host Monitor since version 3.x (how long is that Alex? Five years? More?).

Version 3.00 was released on April 02, 2002. Less than 4 years ago.
Version 0.11 Beta was released on November 05, 2000

Quote:
they were looking at $100,000K+ solutions. Dragging their feet, I begged and annoyed them into picking up Host Monitor as a "stopgap".

So now we can increase our prices up to $200,000? Just kidding
We still want to offer software affordable for anyone.

What is funny - sometimes we are receiving requests like "We are small company with low budget. We need to monitor 5,000 servers in 10 networks. Could you please donate Enterprise license fo us?". Low budget? Can afford 5,000 servers and cannot pay $399 for the license?

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> References & Opinions All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: