KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

RMA with email

View previous topic :: View next topic  
plambrecht

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: RMA with email Reply with quote

Hi,

We are an IT company in belgium, providing IT services for small and medium sized offices.
We are in need of pro-active monitoring of all server, switches, routers and firewalls that are in use with our customers.

As far as I can see, your product is very promising, especialy the RMA piece.

There is one issue. We have customers that don't have a permanent internet line, so we are not able to connect to the RMA directly.
For some of them we can dialin using VPN, PSTN or ISDN, and then connnect to the RMA.
I couldn't find an option in the documentation that first makes a dailup connection (or starts an external program to connect with CiscoVPN), then connect to the RMA, and after the tests complete disconnect the dialupline (or start an external program to disconnect the VPNclient).
Is this possible ?

My second problem is, that for some clients, we are unable to dialin in any way. For them, we need a monitor program the collects the data in one logfile, and then email the results using an existing Outlook/MAPI client.
This way the email remains in the Outbox until the customer manually connects to send/receive emails.
Is this possible ?

I've been looking into many different programs and yours is getting pretty close to my needs.

Kind regards

Pieter
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For some of them we can dialin using VPN, PSTN or ISDN, and then connnect to the RMA.
I couldn't find an option in the documentation that first makes a dailup connection (or starts an external program to connect with CiscoVPN), then connect to the RMA, and after the tests complete disconnect the dialupline (or start an external program to disconnect the VPNclient).
Is this possible ?

Theoretically this is possible. But its hard to configure.
One possible solution
- create additional test (e.g. ping test for remote system);
- assign action profile that will start "dial-up to the network" action if test fails and start some script (e.g "RefreshTest name_of_real_test" script) if ping passed
- assign action profile with "disconnect dial-up connection" action to the "real" test

Quote:
My second problem is, that for some clients, we are unable to dialin in any way. For them, we need a monitor program the collects the data in one logfile, and then email the results using an existing Outlook/MAPI client.
This way the email remains in the Outbox until the customer manually connects to send/receive emails.
Is this possible ?

This is impossible in current version. In future? I don't know... I have added suggestion into "to do" list. But its strange... its not real time monitor.

Regards
Alex
boxy_25

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Send logfile Reply with quote

Hi,

For your second problem:
Maybe you can use a stand alone Host Monitor in you customer office that check server...
Then use a free command line utility that call BLAT ( http://www.blat.net/194/ ).
With it, you can send by smtp the logs every hour or every day.
You just have to create a batch file that you put in windows scheduler.

Cédric.
plambrecht

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Theoretically this is possible. But its hard to configure.
One possible solution
- create additional test (e.g. ping test for remote system);
- assign action profile that will start "dial-up to the network" action if test fails and start some script (e.g "RefreshTest name_of_real_test" script) if ping passed
- assign action profile with "disconnect dial-up connection" action to the "real" test

Hm.. I can't seem to get this to work. I can't change the dependency to anything else then ALIVE. Can you create a sample HML file, that does the trick ?

Quote:
This is impossible in current version. In future? I don't know... I have added suggestion into "to do" list. But its strange... its not real time monitor.

Realtime is not the issue, it is rather an monitor function, to see that our server is working, and that the disks aren't filling up.
One check a day makes pain go away
I'll go with the suggestion of boxy_25...

greetz

Pieter
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hm.. I can't seem to get this to work. I can't change the dependency to anything else then ALIVE.

You cannot change condition after you have selected master test. You can change condition while you are selecting master test (in the same dialog window).
So, remove master test from the list and add it again using another condition.

But I think there is better solution. Better if you check remote server not often.
Use different schedules instead of master-dependant option.
E.g.
- schedule for auxiliary test (that will start "dial-ul connection" action) can start test between 9:00-9:03, 15:00-15:03, 21:00-21:03, 03:00-03:03. Test interval should be > 03 min.
- schedule for test (that will perform check and start "disconnect" action) can start test between 9:02-9:05, 15:02-15:05, 21:02-21:05, 03:02-03:05. Test interval should be > 03 min.
I choosed interval (9:00-9:03) 3 min but it depends... If you do not have hundreds of tests, you may use shorter interval, 1 min is enough.

With this configuration HostMonitor will start dialing at 9:00 and perform "real" test at 9:02.
Do not forget to add "disconnect" action into both ("bad" and "good") sections. In this case HostMonitor will drop connection independently on result of the test.

Quote:
I'll go with the suggestion of boxy_25...

I like his idea as well

Regards
Alex
plambrecht

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing....

How can I set the order of execution of the tests ?

let's take the dialout example.

Step 1 dialup to remote site (works fine by the way)
Step 2 - 10 do some tests
Step 11 disconnect.

What I did is make step 2-10 dependent on step 1, works ok
But how can I set step 11 only to execute when all tests are done ?

I can't rely on the status of step 2-10, because even if they are all bad, the connection has to terminate...

So, how can I set to execute 2-10 and then 11. Is there a way ?

Pieter
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you want to perform several tests against remote network via dial-up connection...
The best solution I see use 2 auxiliary tests (instead of one) and 3 different schedules:
- one schedule for 1st auxiliary test (step 1) that will establish connection (e.g. 9:00-9:01, ...)
- another schedule for all "real" tests (step 2-10) that you want to perform (e.g. 9:02-9:05, ...)
- 3rd schedule for 2nd auxiliary test (step 11) that will drop connection (e.g. 9:05-9:08, ...)

Regards
Alex
plambrecht

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a way to do it...
Probably the only one, as only one dialup can be connected at the same time... And I need to test about 15 remote sites...

Thx.. I'll try this setup.
plambrecht

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
So, you want to perform several tests against remote network via dial-up connection...
The best solution I see use 2 auxiliary tests (instead of one) and 3 different schedules:
- one schedule for 1st auxiliary test (step 1) that will establish connection (e.g. 9:00-9:01, ...)
- another schedule for all "real" tests (step 2-10) that you want to perform (e.g. 9:02-9:05, ...)
- 3rd schedule for 2nd auxiliary test (step 11) that will drop connection (e.g. 9:05-9:08, ...)

Regards
Alex

I'm currently trying this setup..;but it doesn't seem to work as expected..
When I create this schedule:
1. connect 13:40-13:40 - run test every 50 secs
2. run tests 13:41-13:48 - run test every 6 minutes
3. disconnect 13:49-13:49 - run test every 50 secs
i have these probs:
- the connection/disconnection sometimes starts 2 times
- the tests (depending on the connection being up) just don't seem to run...
I really having troubles with this..
Any suggestions ? or live HML files that work ?

Also, how can I see when the next test is planned ? is there a variable ? or how does HM decides what test is next ?
Pieter
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- the connection/disconnection sometimes starts 2 times

Test interval should be longer than allowed schedule!
E.g.
1. connect 13:40:00-13:40 - run test every 120 secs
2. run tests 13:41-13:48 - run test every 10 minutes
3. disconnect 13:49-13:49 - run test every 120 secs

Quote:
- the tests (depending on the connection being up) just don't seem to run...

Do you mean test did not execute at all? Or it failed?
Probably you have set this test as dependant on "connect" test? It should be regular test.

Quote:
Also, how can I see when the next test is planned ? is there a variable ? or how does HM decides what test is next ?

HostMonitor remembers time when each test was performed. Also it knows test interval and schedule...
In you case it means:
1. tests from group #1 will be executed at 13:40. Started by creation order. Next time these tests should be performed at 13:40+120 sec=13:42 but this time is out of schedule. So, HostMonitor will wait till next allowed interval in the schedule.
2. tests from group #2 will be executed at 13:41...
3. tests from group #3 will be executed at 13:49...

However... If you have a lot of tests that should be executed frequently, HostMonitor will not be able to start all tests at once (see "Don't start more than [N] tests per second" option on Behavior page in the Options dialog).
In this case some tests will be started within next few seconds. That's why allowed schedule should be longer than 1 sec (sometimes it should be bigger than 1 min). Test interval should be longer than allowed schedule to avoid repeated test execution. I am talking about tests that initiate connect/disconnect actions.

Quote:
Any suggestions ? or live HML files that work ?

If you send me (support@ks-soft.net) your HML file + actions.lst + schedules.lst files, I can check and modify settings.

Regards
Alex
plambrecht

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

Thx for taking care of this.
I found out myself what you just posted.
I've set it up like this and it works like a charm:

Connection : 13:40-13:43 run every 6 mins
Tests : 13:41-13:43 run every 5 mins
Disconnect : 13:44-13:44 run every 2 mins

This program is really looking good!
I'm getting in touch with my manager to get a license

Pieter
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it works

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Wish list All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: