KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

HostMonitor 4.45 available for testing:

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: HostMonitor 4.45 available for testing: Reply with quote

There is new module at www.ks-soft.net/download/hm445.zip
If you want to check new features and suggest some other, I would recommend to copy your existent Advanced Host Monitor into another directory (or another computer), unzip new modules, and use this version (4.45 beta) for testing purpose only.

What's new:
1) New "External" mode for Performance Counter test. It should fix problems with the test (if you have problems). Use Miscellaneous page in the Options dialog to set new mode .
(RMA does not support this new mode yet, it will work on old way);

2) New "SNMP Trap" test method. There are some new settings on Miscellaneous page in the Options dialog as well (check "Settings for SNMP Trap tests" item).
And there are some new "SNMP Trap" specific macro variables:
- %TRAPHOST%
- %TRAPTYPE%
- %TIMETICKS%
- %ENTERPRISE%
- %MIBOID%
- %MIBTYPE%
- %MIBVALUE%
- %MIBRELATIVE%

Regards
Alex
Marcus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the snmp traps, the questions arise:

-What to do with unknown traps? Wil it be possible to define a default snmp trap (for traps not triggered by any other snmp trap test?). This will at least trigger your attention for traps you did not think about.
-The logging could be more specific (why not the whole trap). Especially for unknown traps, this could give you alle information you need to create an snmp trap test.
-Will there be an MIB translation / import function? It is impossible to update all possible traps by hand. (And if so, will it become possible to create an snmp trap test, based on the MIB).

Btw, I still think receiving and handling snmp traps is not HostMonitor .
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
-What to do with unknown traps? Wil it be possible to define a default snmp trap (for traps not triggered by any other snmp trap test?). This will at least trigger your attention for traps you did not think about.

Good idea. We will think about it.

Quote:
-The logging could be more specific (why not the whole trap). Especially for unknown traps, this could give you alle information you need to create an snmp trap test.

Standard log cannot be more specific, it should have the same format for any test.
But its easy to create separate log using "SQL Query" action or "Execute external program" or ...

Quote:
-Will there be an MIB translation / import function? It is impossible to update all possible traps by hand. (And if so, will it become possible to create an snmp trap test, based on the MIB).

I hope HostMonitor will have MIB compiler but not the next version.
Import? Import from ??

Quote:
Btw, I still think receiving and handling snmp traps is not HostMonitor

So, we just spent time for nothing

Regards
Alex
Stoltze

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus wrote:
Btw, I still think receiving and handling snmp traps is not HostMonitor .

Hi Marcus,

If you are using AHM to monitor servers and network devices, which program do you use to see SNMP traps in today then?
Stoltze

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
Quote:
Btw, I still think receiving and handling snmp traps is not HostMonitor

Regards
Alex

Hi Alex,

No, I don't think that you spend time for nothing. I can see the great benefit in the use of AHM to recieve traps. But I must admit, that being able to see all the traps, and the whole trap that AHM recieve, would be very nice.

Sort of like, AHM recieves all the traps, and can take action upon them. But also the possibility to view all the traps in a separate log, like many of the other tools does..
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sort of like, AHM recieves all the traps, and can take action upon them. But also the possibility to view all the traps in a separate log, like many of the other tools does..

New version of IP-Tools can do that (not available for dowload yet)

Regards
Alex
Stoltze

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:

New version of IP-Tools can do that (not available for dowload yet)

Sounds great Alex. Will be looking forward to this release..
Marcus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you are using AHM to monitor servers and network devices, which program do you use to see SNMP traps in today then?

We do not use HostMonitor to monitor hardware, but software only. It checks for 90% services and web-pages (and some databases, free space, etc). If a HostMonitor test fails, it wil generate an snmp trap to our openview management server.

We use the vendor tools (HP Insight Manager, Dell Open Manage and IBM Director) to receive all the hardware traps and translate them to a readable form (besides openview, which does the same). Hardware tools are most important for us, because they give us a complete inventory of the hardware (including all the serial numbers you ever need).

Quote:

I assume I am not the only customer of HostMonitor . So perhaps this is a good thing for other customers, but we will never use it. I think other tools are better suited (and designed) to receive snmp traps and a lot of them are part of the hardware you buy.
Wooltown

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use HostMonitor to monitor my servers, and on my Compaq/HP servers I have installed the monitoring modules for disc systems and NICs, they will write an error in system log so I can read them with HM, how do I fix this for the IBM servers, I tried to install Real Time Diagnostics, but it didn't help, does anyone now the answer ?

Regards
Sven
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: