KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Tests do not work automatically

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hopcroft

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:03 am    Post subject: Tests do not work automatically Reply with quote

I have set up a couple of tests to do a trace to remote machines from the server because people are getting kicked off and we don't know where in the link the problem lies. If I do the trace manually, it works fine, but hostmonitor always returns a "No Answer" when it does the tests itself. How do I fix that?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usually we need to know what version of HostMonitor do you use.
Also could you please explain what means "do the trace manually"? Are you using some other application (like tracert) or built-in Trace utility or you just use Refresh menu item to perform the trace test...?

Regards
Alex
hopcroft

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Tests do not work automatically Reply with quote

I am using the built-in trace utility in HostMonitor 4.42. I do a right click on a test in the list and select Trace and it gives me the whole list with a "done" at the end. Running automatically, it has never completed a trace test. I use a timeout of 4000.

Harry
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably timeout for the test is smaller than timeout that is defined in the Options dialog?
Could you provide address of the host that you check?

Regards
Alex
hopcroft

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Tests do not work automatically Reply with quote

One of the tests goes to 207.5.231.247, which is the WAN side of the Linksys BFSR41 router at my home office. I have temporarily disabled the default "Block LAN Request" feature so it will respond. And it does respond if I do the test manually from the built-in utility.

Originally, the Timeout under the "Test Method" was 4000 and the "Alert when maximum time is longer than" was set at 2000. Both are now at 4000 and the result is the same.

Harry
hopcroft

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Tests do not work automatically Reply with quote

The timeout for the Trace was set at 1000 in the Options dialogue, so I reset that to 4000 as well. Still no luck.

Harry
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem located at device with address 207.5.143.162
This device responds to packets with size = 32 bytes but does not respond to 64 bytes packets.
Solutions:
- reconfigure device 207.5.143.162
- decrease size of ICMP packets for trace test

Regards
Alex
hopcroft

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Tests do not work automatically Reply with quote

Bingo!! That's a brilliant insight into the trace world. The end device does not seem to either tell us directly what size packet it wants or allow them to be changed, but I changed the Host Monitor test and it immediately worked as advertised!

That does raise the question, of course, of why the default value for the automatic test is different from the default value for the manually activated test (which does not say what size packets it's using). Curious!

Many Thanks for your assistance Alex!

Harry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: