Map support

Need new test, action, option? Post request here.
ProZa

Map support

Post by ProZa »

What about subj?
My company has huge network infrastucture, and it would be great to have some visual representation of our devices and their interconnecton.

May be as a plug-in or another kind of external program...

Any ideas?
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Sorry, but I don't think this option will be implemented in nearest versions.

Regards
Alex
ProZa

Post by ProZa »

OK. But are you going to work on it at all?
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

This task marked as "suggestion for version 5". It means "may be we implement this option, may be not".

Regards
Alex
hmo

Post by hmo »

ProZa wrote:OK. But are you going to work on it at all?
I dont know how you have made the "build" of your HostMonitor, ie. how you make devices etc. But you can take the config-file and build a
map automatic into WhatsUp - in that case you'll have a visual map that
only show "ping" responses... but very effective when searching for a
specific outage somewhere in your network!

:D
ProZa

Post by ProZa »

Extra soft means extra money :)
In addtion, I need exactly the map - my company has huge territory of occupation - about 1000km*300km... There are a lot of equipment as well. It is difficult to concentrate on "virtual" networking equipment. I would like to see the map of the region and "blinking" cities. 8)
Such a shy dream :D
Flashback

Post by Flashback »

All I know is my boss has tasked me with finding out how to do it with hostmonitor. :)
Stoltze

Post by Stoltze »

In my company, we have just finished an application llike this.. It reads data from a textfile, and then presents this on top of what map you would like, and in sublevels as well.

The textfile is not created by AHM, but I will suggest my boss, to make it possible to create the map from a AHM textfile..

I hope this will be done, since this is last thing I'm missing with AHM..
ProZa

Post by ProZa »

Would you be so kind to make happy some other people and to share
your software? :D
rmcsh1

I would like to second this as a request

Post by rmcsh1 »

I would like to see this added as well. It is functionality which many competing products have. Please consider moving it up on your priority list.

Scott Hardin
Enterprise Registered User
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Ok, I have increased priority of this task. But it is task for version 5 anyway.
IMHO its hard task. Of course its not very hard to implement some interactive map but... If you are monitoring thousand devices and want to see all of them on this map, there are a lot of problems.

Regards
Alex
Stoltze

Post by Stoltze »

Hi,
KS-Soft wrote:Ok, I have increased priority of this task. But it is task for version 5 anyway.
Sounds really great Alex.. :)
IMHO its hard task. Of course its not very hard to implement some interactive map
Yes, this is one of the most difficult tasks to do.. :-? And where it's most difficult to satisfy everyone....
but... If you are monitoring thousand devices and want to see all of them on this map, there are a lot of problems.
Regards
Alex
Alex, I really don't hope, that anyone would consider to hundreds or thousands icons on the map. If I was watching a company across the world, I would split them up. Eg a top map, which shows regions, ASIA, EMEA, USA etc.., or I would show each country. If something goes wrong in the country, you click on the country and go down one level to a new map.

When you think about this feature, please keep wish about Virtual Folders in mind... I think the two of them goes nicely together.. :D
http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/vi ... php?t=1208
thomasschmeidl

Post by thomasschmeidl »

Hi Alex
Ok, I have increased priority of this task. But it is task for version 5 anyway.
Is the task still in your ToDo-list?

Or can you recommend another way to get a map - like Stoltze's application?
In my company, we have just finished an application llike this.. It reads data from a textfile, and then presents this on top of what map you would like, and in sublevels as well.
The more sophisticated AHM gets the more administrators could benefit from such a feature.

Regards

Thomas
Dubolomov

Post by Dubolomov »

+1
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Is the task still in your ToDo-list
Yes.
At first we want to implement other tasks: agent that will be able connect to HostMonitor, improved Log Analyzer and Web Service, Templates.
Then we will think about "map".
Or can you recommend another way to get a map - like Stoltze's application
What is "Stoltze's application"?

Regards
Alex