KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

External Script doesn't alert on every Reply change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmonaghan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: External Script doesn't alert on every Reply change Reply with quote

I've writen a script that checks the number of voice mail messages on our server. When there are no messages the script returns Ok: 0 Messages. When Messages are present it returns Bad: 1 Messages and HM fires an alert. If a second message is left the script will return Bad : 2 Messages but HM may or may not fire an alert.

No time restrictions are in place, the Reply updates in the monitor screen, it always fires when moving between 0 and any number it's just intermittent when changing above one message. The alert profile has 1 retest and then E-Mails at 2nd test only, the good profile E-Mails on first good test.

Any ideas? Please let me know and I'll post further information if needed.

Mike
HM3.44
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its normal behavior of HostMonitor - start alerts when test STATUS changes (not when REPLY value changes).

If you want to start action when REPLY value changes, you need to upgrade to HostMonitor version 4 and use "advanced mode" actions.
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/news.htm#hmalerts

Regards
Alex
mmonaghan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make sure I'm clear...

What I'm reporting is an consistancy issue. For several hours today the alerts triggered every time the RESULT changed even if STATUS didn't After a few hours I started missing alerts. The STATUS and REPLY values were changing, but the alerts weren't firing. I rolled back to several saved configurations I made during the afternoon and found that while I was adding the External Scripts the Alerts fired. Later after two good hours I added a Count Files test. This is when I stopped getting alerts on every change. Adding an additional External Script returned the Alerts to every change but when the next test (not an External Script) was added the result got flakey. I opened a new file and repeated the process on a seperate machine with the same results. I know 3.44 is old so you may have changed this down the line. This is more for the sake of anyone else trying to understand the oddness.

As for the way alerts work, I understood that when I started. When it worked the other way it surprised me.

Mike
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For several hours today the alerts triggered every time the RESULT changed even if STATUS didn't After a few hours I started missing alerts. The STATUS and REPLY values were changing, but the alerts weren't firing. I rolled back to several saved configurations I made during the afternoon and found that while I was adding the External Scripts the Alerts fired. Later after two good hours I added a Count Files test. This is when I stopped getting alerts on every change. Adding an additional External Script returned the Alerts to every change but when the next test (not an External Script) was added the result got flakey.

????
Its very strange. But you are right - version 3.44 is very old version. You may upgrade to version 3.71 at no cost, so we will not look for error that probably fixed long time ago.

And if you want to start action when REPLY value changes, you need to upgrade to HostMonitor version 4 and use "advanced mode" actions.
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/news.htm#hmalerts

Regards
Alex
mmonaghan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried it on 3.71 this morning and indeed it was fixed. 4.40 is on the system now and we're trying the alerts with the new methods.

Thanks!

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: