KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Number of simultaneous tests

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Number of simultaneous tests Reply with quote

Hi Alex

Is it possible to have an option to execute only 'n' number of tests at any time? Any other scheduled tests ready to be executed should wait till the previous lot is finished.

I have a situation where approx. 150 tests need to get executed at the same time with an action 'execute external program'. The command line is 'xcopy' which copies a file between two locations and it takes 2 to3 minutes to finish per test. I am facing a problem with that many simultaneous xcopy sessions and would like them going in batches of say 20 or so.

Highly appreciate a solution.

Thanks,
Arun
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Option located on Behavior page in the Options dialog:
Don't start more than [N] tests per second
HostMonitor is multi-threaded so it can test many hosts simultaneously. This parameter defines how many tests per second the program will start.

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS However this option does not effect actions. If each test needs 2-3 sec but each action needs 2-3 min, after few seconds all actions will be started..
Do not see good solution... May be start some actions after 2nd, 3rd "bad" result?

Regards
Alex
Arun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

Thanks a lot. I am trying my best not to have multiple action profiles. I got another idea. Since the action kicks off an 'xcopy', many xcopy processes would be running sumultaneously. So, have defined a 'Process' test which runs every 5 seconds and sets status 'Bad' if more than 'n' number of xcopy sessions running. And this test would serve as a 'Master' test for all those tests.

I am tyring this at the moment. Your comments are most welcome.

Regards,
Arun
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its a good idea.

Another posible solution use some mutex object. E.g. BAT file that starts xcopy can create flag before executing xcopy and remove this flag after xcopy execution.
E.g.
Code:

:begin
sleep 100
if exist c:\xcopyflag.txt goto begin
echo >c:\xcopyflag.txt
xcopy .....
del c:\xcopyflag.txt

sleep is simple command that should suspend execution for specified time (otherwise BAT file will spend too much CPU resources). Its not standard command, but if you want to use this method, I can create this utility...

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is working fine now with that idea. I have defined a 'process' test and set status 'bad' for > 16 sessions and this runs every 3 seconds. This test is a master for all those 140 tests.

Will observe it for few more days and will revert if I need further help.

Alex.. thanks a lot for the excellent support.

Regards,
Arun
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Wish list All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: