KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Service vs. App

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently installed HM as a service. I changed a few settings via the application (hostmon.exe). When closing the application it said further monitoring would be discontinued. I closed anyway to see if the service would actually keep monitoring. it did not. How do I have HM continue to monitor without the app running?

thanks

tom
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Service must keep monitoring. Different instances of HostMonitor do not interfere. So, you can start 5 different copies of HostMonitor and when you close one, other will continue monitoring.
How did you check service? Are there some HostMonitor's messages in the Event Log? Do you see HostMonitor's icon in system tray?

Regards
Alex
rdol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really possible to have one HostMon instance running as a service and modify its settings with other instance = application?

Does the service detect changed settings or do I need to restart the service every time?

Radek
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally to change settings you do not need start second instance of HostMonitor, unless you work with remote system using MS Terminal Server. When HostMonitor starts as a service, it must show icon in system tray. You can click on the icon and open HostMonitor's window.
If you do not see icon, please, check follow parameters:
- "Icon in the System Tray" option on Preferences page in the Options dialog
- account that Service Manager uses to starts HostMonitor. It must be "local system" account and "allow service to interact with desktop" option must be enabled as well

Regards
Alex
rdol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I use MS Terminal Services. That's why I am interested in second instance. Do I need to restart the service if some settings were changed via second HostMon in application mode? Or does HM service monitor config files changes?

Regards
Radek
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in this case you have to restart service to apply changes (interactive services cannot work with remote console).
In future versions will be implemented web interface.

Regards
Alex
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: