KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Constant, random "unknown" statuses
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Alex. I uploaded the new code and it seems to be working fine
genasea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: New code Reply with quote

I loaded the new code, changed to the correct settings in the 'Options' dialog box, and continue to have the same problems . . lots of Unknown's being reported. The server will respond with OK for many minutes or a few hours, the test then will respond with a 'Unknown' for one to ten cycles, then go back to 'OK'.

On one server (as an example), I am checking the CPU load on four processors. In many cases, one or two of the processors (CPU Load test) respond with an 'Unknown' and the others report 'OK'. But other times, all the Performance tests to this server respond with 'Unknown'. So there is no rhyme or reason that I can tell.

The network utilization to these servers is not high, and other tests to these same servers (i.e. protocol tests, snmp tests, ping tests, etc.) all have recurrences of more than 10,000 without a single change in state.

Some of the Microsoft servers hardly ever report 'Unknowns' for the perf counter tests, while others go in and out of unknown state all day long.

Our old server running Exchange 5.5 on NT would go tens of thousands of cycles without a single Unknown. Then new Exchange 5.5 server running on W2000 SP4 cannot even go a few minutes without generating half a dozen Unknowns - with the same tests running on both machines.

Are other people still having these problems even with the new patch??

Also, is there anyone who is running multiple perf counter object tests against multiple servers who is not having any problems with these 'Unknown' responses??

Thank you.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you see in the Reply field of the test that fails with "Unknown" status? There should be error description.

I believe we have tried all possible workarounds and most of customers now work with Performance Counter test method without problems. But I don't think we can make it better
The only hope - Microsoft.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: