RMA for SFU

Remote Monitoring Agent for Linux, FreeBSD, and other UNIX-like platforms.
Marcus

RMA for SFU

Post by Marcus »

Is it possible to create an RMA agent for SFU (Services For Unix) from Microsoft. And more important: could it work.
Since SFU 3.5 is now a free download, I have the following scenario in mind: Install SFU on the same machine as HostMonitor, install the RMA for SFU and use this agent to (natively :wink: ) test unix servers from HostMonitor.
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

H'm, interesting idea. But probably you will not need agent at all. E.g. SFU supports NFS, so there will be no difference between file-related test (such as Folder Size or UNC) that is performed by HostMonitor, test that is performed by RMA for Windows installed on the same system, or test performed by RMA for UNIX installed on the same system.
As I understand Windows applications will be able to access resources that are shared by NFS?

Regards
Alex
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Well, I hope the RMA agent for Unix will be capable of more than just file tests or starting scripts......
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Actually scripts is very flexible tool. New HostMonitor&RMA will have about 16 tests (System Load, Memory Usage by Process, CPU Usage by Process and much more) that are implemented as scripts. Shell Script on UNIX platform can be much more useful than BAT file on Windows system.

Regards
Alex
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

But I assume that HostMonitor itself will not be able to perform / start these tests, but that they must be started using an agent??
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

If SFU provides some command line utility that can execute shell scripts, HostMonitor will be able to perform test without RMA.
Unfortunately I am not very familiar with SFU, just read article, never tried...

Regards
Alex
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Unfortunately I am not very familiar with SFU, just read article, never tried
Neither had I, so I installed it on a test server. I now have KDE 3.1 running in a terminal service session :lol:
You can start unix scripts from a cmd.exe, so I assume running it from HostMonitor will work. So when the 'Shell Script' action is finished, testing can begin :wink:
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Cool
Marcus

Shell script test

Post by Marcus »

I've just installed HostMonitor with the Shell Script test. I am now able to run unix scripts with the ksh shell :D
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

And you even don't need RMA...
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

And you even don't need RMA...
No, just run the scripts. :lol: