KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Physical and Virtual Memory Test

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bhugh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Product. I noticed mention a while back about adding functionality for monitoring physical and virtual memory on a server. Could you indicate if this is expected to be added in the next version or when it might be added. This is one that could save a lot of problems in the future.

Does anyone know of any workarounds to accomplish this?

Thanks
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its very easy to implement this kind of test for local machine. But to retrieve this information from a remote system would be a problem.
In future versions of HostMonitor we plan to implement some remote agents to collect information from different systems. Probably it will be implemented in version 3.50

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

HM is a great program for many reasons - for me primarily the ability to quickly install a system which undertakes non-intrusive monitoring. I think it would be a slightly backward step to introduce remote agents, something which has put me off other systems. Would it not be possible to use SNMP to get values from PERFMON for virtual and physical memory ?

Thanks
Fergus

PS Keep up the good work
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2002 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid Windows does not provide OIDs to work with memory counters using SNMP. Please correct me if I am wrong.
On the other hand you are right. I forgot about performance counters. New test to check performance counters on local or remote system will be implemented in HostMonitor 3.30 or 3.40
However to check performance counters, CPU usage, processes, etc you need to use administrator's account. In this case small remote agent can be useful.

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last user is right. This is a great product but you really need to add memory usage to the test list. And using performance monitor counters is the easiest way to do it. Some products such as Servers Alive are already doing it, without remote agents. How soon will this feature be added to HostMonitor?

Regards,
Anonymous
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I need vacation
Ok, it will be implemented in July-August.

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree strongly with the request for access to performance montitor statistics. My company is about to deploy a monitoring service to our customers in the next 6 weeks. We were on the verge of using ServesAlive until I stumbled accross your program. You clearly are far ahead of ServersAlive in so many areas but Servers Alive has access to all Perforamnce Monitor counters. This is critical for monitoring mememoy and and it opens up a world of opportunity for other items. For example on Servers Alive I have a test that checks the amount of memory used and restarts memory intesive services if it fails. This has been a God send for certain clients (Much better than a complete reboot!)

The other neat feature ServersAlive is the ability to call a VPN connection from Windows then check are remote network and then disconnect. What I really want is the ability to call a VPN connection, perfrom a dozen checks, and then disconnect. Currently ServersAlive can only do one check at a time.
mpriess

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can already monitor the perf counters of and NT machines using Hostmonitor's SNMP test. Just run the perf2mib.exe that is in the NT4 resource kit (can be run on NT4 or W2k...although microsoft doesn't support this anymore) first...then the perf counters will be availabe as SNMP Objects. Or visit http://www.wtcs.org/snmp4tpc/snmp4nt.htm
for more information. I'm currently monitoring our servers this way. Good Luck.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: