KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

3.22 gone to &^#@*

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpackard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent messages to both line1 and line2 and have gotten no response. I have the 3.22 version of hostmon--a formally wonderful monitoring program--and it doesn't work worth a damn. I'm trying to use the monitor where it will look on a Win2k box to check and see if a process is still running. I have about 20 processes I watch this way. Now that 3.22 is here, the 'status' of the processes all change to "checking" and just stay there. Last week I had every process at status "checking" for about 4 days. Then I turned the monitor off. If anyone knows a fix or a way to contact support please let me know!

- Thx
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually we answer to all mails within 24 hours (very seldom within 4. Unfortunately some SMTP servers sometimes loses mails. Probably we did not receive your mail or may be you did not receive our answer. Sorry for this, its not our fault.
About your problem: Unfortunately we don't know what the reason for this problem It looks like Win API function that retrieves information from remote registry hungs. I have checked HostMonitor's code, it contains several loops. However even in case HostMonitor gets wrong values from the registry those loops cannot take long time.

Regards
Alex
cpackard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is a confirmed problem? Could it have been something in a recent Win2k patch that broke it? Are you going to be fixing it soon? I need this to work or the monitor is of no value to me.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>So this is a confirmed problem?

Confirmed? I never saw this problem and I cannot reproduce it on our systems, but I believe you have this problem.

>Could it have been something in a recent Win2k patch that broke it?

Does this test worked properly before you installed Win2K patch?

>Are you going to be fixing it soon?

It looks like problem in Windows, not in HostMonitor. As I said HostMonitor's code that retrieves list of processes contains several simple loops, I have checked that code, everything Ok.
I think some Windows function (like RegConnectRegistry or RegQueryValueEx) hungs. I tried to find some information about this problem in Internet, but nothing helpful.

I can create small program for testing your system. It will call the same Windows API function those HostMonitor calls, and we will know which function hungs. However I am not sure it will help to resolve problem because we can correct HostMonitor's code but cannot correct Windows' code.

Could you please provide a little more information?
1) Do you check processes on several remote systems? Or you check just one system? Or may be you check local system?
2) If you will split tests to several lists (different HML files) and start several copies of HostMonitor (one copy to monitor processes on 1st server, another instance to monitor processes on 2nd server), does all instances will not work properly? Or may be tests those work with server1 will work correctly but tests those work with server2 will not work?
BTW: Could you try to connect to remote registry from system where HostMonitor installed?

Regards
Alex

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay.

>Could you please provide a little more >information?
Yes

1) Do you check processes on several remote systems?

Yes about 15.

Or you check just one system? Or may be you check local system?

Do not check local system at all.

2) If you will split tests to several lists (different HML files) and start several copies of HostMonitor (one copy to monitor processes on 1st server, another instance to monitor processes on 2nd server), does all instances will not work properly?

Still won't work right.

Or may be tests those work with server1 will work correctly but tests those work with server2 will not work?

Not sure what you mean here. I can send you screen shots? An example: Server1 Process1 works and is status ok. Server1 Process2 just says 'checking'. Server2 process1 2 and 3 all just say checking. You get the idea? The longer it runs the more that go to status 'checking'.

BTW: Could you try to connect to remote registry from system where HostMonitor installed?

Just with regedt32? That works fine.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will create program for testing on your system. Could you please send letter to our address line1@ks-soft.net? I don't know your e-mail address.

Regards
Alex
cpackard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it has been sent
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Program and comments has been sent to your e-mail address.

Regards
Alex
cpackard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only fair to let people that read this group know the outcome of this tale. Alex from KS-SOFT worked with me daily. Sending me new test programs and I'd send him the screenshot of the results. He worked with me for over a week until he resolved my problem completly and gave me the updated hostmon.exe. Two thumbs way up for Alex and his support.
genasea

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the actual fix? I am experiencing similar issues with checking DHCP, and WINS services on a few of our domain controllers.

Please let me know,

Thank you,

Scott
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Graig.
So, what the problem with DHCP and WINS? I think you use "Service" test? In this case patch will not help because HostMonitor uses complette different Windows API functions for "Process" and for "Service" tests.

Regards
Alex
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: