KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Monitor 3rd party applications

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vidyagana

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Monitor 3rd party applications Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

I have a requirement where I want to monitor 3rd party applications like Veritas Backup Exec and email based on the status of a backup. Is that possible?

Thanks.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't know anything about Veritas Backup.
If this application records some information into log files, stores info in NT Event Log, creates some reports or returns specific exit codes, then yes - you may monitor backup results.

Regards
Alex
mikepiet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vidyagana,

I am using AHM to monitor my Veritas NetBackups via querying the event logs. By default, at least for NetBackup, the successful or failed backups do not populate the Windows event logs. I had to add a few lines to a config file to enable it to do so.

Alternately, you can also use the "compare file" test to check the log files for certain text strings like "success" or failure. Since NetBackup has tons of log files, I am sure BackupExec has the same.

To enable the app to start populating the event log, take a look at the KB for Veritas. I am sure you can find it there. Otherwise, call support, the should be able to get it to you quickly. Otherwise, if all those fail for you, I can look through my notes to see how I did it in NetBackup.

Good luck,

Michael
Marcus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backup Exec can also send snmp traps
vidyagana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi:

Thanks a lot to everyone for your suggestions. I am going to check with Veritas Backup Exec Knowledge Base to see if I can log all the backup status. Will let you know if I found something or if I need any further help.

Thanks.
vidyagana

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Looks like Backup Exec in our server already logs errors in the NT Event Log. But I have already setup NT Events Log and I want to do something separately for the backup jobs. Veritas Backup Exec creates a log for every backup/maintenance job that runs. I want to monitor only the backup jobs. Is it possible for me to setup HostMonitor such that in this specified directory it will monitor only the files which contain the word "Backup" and in that file look for "success"/"failure".

Please help.

Thanks.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why you do not want to use NT Event Log test method?
You may setup this test to monitor specific source or specific message in the log.

Regards
Alex
vidyagana

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just that I want to get specific alerts when there is a problem with a backup job. So you are saying that I can setup HostMonitor to monitor the event log for specific source (like Backup Exec) and send separate alerts. Also Backup Exec logs its errors in the NT Event Log under two or three different sources. Is it possible to include all of them under one test?

Thanks.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just that I want to get specific alerts when there is a problem with a backup job. So you are saying that I can setup HostMonitor to monitor the event log for specific source (like Backup Exec) and send separate alerts.

Sure. In the Event Log Test Properties dialog you may define one or more conditions to filter "Bad" events. Event will be considered as "Bad" only when it match ALL specified requirements:
- Event Source
- Computer
- Event type
- Event ID
- etc

Quote:
Also Backup Exec logs its errors in the NT Event Log under two or three different sources. Is it possible to include all of them under one test?

Yes. Please read the manual
www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#tests.htm#chkNTLog

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: