KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Little frustrated...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Little frustrated... Reply with quote

Ok, so I been messing around with this thing for 3 days now, trying to figure out how to set this certain test:

here is scenario:

Windows 2003 server
KS Host Monitor 5.28 Beta

We have been using this software for a while now. It works great. But now, we want to configure it different.

Goal is to:

Set it up as a server. I done that. It runs.
I want to be able to log off the machine and have it running without the machine being logged on. Same thing for when its rebooted. I want to be able to have it start automatically. I setup the servive for it but when I loged off, the thing didn't work.

Seocnd, I want to be able to setup a test that will actually send me alert when KSMONSERVICE IS RUNNING. Not when it's bad. I want to get hourly updates to my phone saying that it's running.

How? It's been 3 days trying to figure this out.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I setup the servive for it but when I loged off, the thing didn't work.

What exactly does not work? HostMonitor (started in service mdoe) does not start alerts? Does not create logs? Does not generate reports? What exactly does not work?

Quote:
Seocnd, I want to be able to setup a test that will actually send me alert when KSMONSERVICE IS RUNNING. Not when it's bad. I want to get hourly updates to my phone saying that it's running

There are several options:
1) you may setup some test, e.g. ping 127.0.0.1 and assign alert profile that will send you message
2) you may use built-in scheduler (Scheduler page in the Options dialog)

Regards
Alex
dgk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

What I meant it doesn't work is that monitoring is not sending any alerts out. it's like it doesn't even run. I ran a little test. I setup kshost as service, started the service and logged off the machine. Then I stopped SMTP service on one of the servers that KSHOST was monitoring and it works when I am not logged off the machine that KSHOST is on. But when I logged off the machine, stopped SMTP service on one of the servers, I didn't get the alert that the serivce wasn't running.

My goal is to have KSHOST monitor running on a server when I am logged off that server. Right now, I can't log off because as soon as I do, monitoring stops.

I did setup a test in respect to monitoring KSHOST itself. I set up test that monitors the HostMon service (I think thats what it is)...it works great and it alerts me when the service is stopped and then when its started, but how do I just set it up so it alerts me when it's running. I need to be alerted when its running even thought it didn't go bad. I did setup scheduling and all, but the thing doesn't want to send alert that the service is up unless it fails first.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If somethind doesn't work, there are several ways to check out:
1) check NT Event Log. Any error messages recorded by HostMonitor?
2) setup HostMonitor to record information about every test (see Log Settings page in the Options dialog), let HM work for a while, and check the log. What test statuses do you see? Good? Bad? Unknown?
3) check system log (specified on Advanced Logs page in the Options dialog). If HostMonitor cannot start some actions, it records information into this log
4) also you may check test statuses using GUI. Log in to the system, click on icon in system tray and check what is going on. Do not start another instance of HostMonitor in application mode, use service instance

Regards
Alex
dgk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh so..let me ask you this:

Is there a way to have KS Host running while machine is logged off? When I log off, the monitoring stops.
Marcus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there a way to have KS Host running while machine is logged off?

You have to install HostMonitor as a service. See the manual for this: How to install HostMonitor as Win32 Interactive service
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there a way to have KS Host running while machine is logged off? When I log off, the monitoring stops.

If you have installed HostMonitor as service, it does not stop monitoring.
If something does not work correctly, please read my previous post, check logs and test statuses

Regards
Alex
dgk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did start it as a service!

The funny thing is, service is running and even if I stop it by going to Services Panel in Windows, and have KS Host program open, it still works.

When I close KSHost Monitor panel, window comes up saying "Monitoring will be terminated". So I click OK, whatever... start the KSMonitoring service and it doesn't do squad.

No error logs.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) I am afraid you misunderstand how HostMonitor works.
When service is started it displays icon in system tray, you may click on icon and work with service (you will see "...started as service" on window title).
Do you see the icon in system tray? Do you see "...started as service" on window title?

When you click on HostMonitor's icon that is located on desktop or type hostmon.exe in command line, you are starting another instance in application mode. When you close this application, you close this application only. You may see "Monitoring will be stopped" message, this message tells you about application that you are closing. It doesn't say anything about other instances (e.g. service instance).

2) We do not recommend to start several instances to monitor the same set of tests. It means if you want to start application, stop service before.
Probably you have some problems because you have not configured service.
For example
- service is running
- you have started application, changed some settings and closed application
- service still running but it doesn't know anything about new settings.

3) "No error logs" is not an answer. Please read my prevoius post. Items #2 and #4.
If you have configured HostMonitor to record information about every performed test, you should see some records in the log.

Regards
Alex
dgk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's starting to make some sense now.

See, the problem is that we run this thing and then connect using RDP to check it out.

So what I need to do is close all TS sessions, stop the service, basically making sure all sessions are closed, and then start KS from the service panel in windows?

I see blue icon in the task bar.

My boss wants me to configure the whole thing so we can log off the box and have the thing monitor. He wants me to test it by restarting the computer and without loggin on back to it, he wants it to monitor.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
See, the problem is that we run this thing and then connect using RDP to check it out

I see. In such case you cannot configure service directly, because service can display information on local desktop only.

Quote:
So what I need to do is close all TS sessions, stop the service, basically making sure all sessions are closed, and then start KS from the service panel in windows

Following article provides some tips: http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1100

Quote:
I see blue icon in the task bar.

You see the icon when HostMonitor is started as application. But you do not see any icon when HostMonitor is started as service. Right?

Quote:
My boss wants me to configure the whole thing so we can log off the box and have the thing monitor. He wants me to test it by restarting the computer and without loggin on back to it, he wants it to monitor.

If you cannot log in (locally) to the sytem where HostMonitor is running and you cannot use tools like PC Anywhere, you may use follwing source of information to check how service is working:
- logs
- reports
- Web Service

So, we return to logs again. Have you configured HostMonitor to record information about every test? Have you checked logs? What do you see?
If you do not like logs, use reports or Web Service

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: