KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Windows 2000 System Event Log error when starting as service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Windows 2000 System Event Log error when starting as service Reply with quote

I am starting Host Monitor v.4.86 as a service on a Windows 2000 Server. The service is logging on using the Local System Account and allowing the service to interact with the desktop. Every time the server starts up it logs an error in the System Event Log .. Service Control Manager, Event ID 7022, Description: The KS Advanced Host Monitor service hung on starting.

However, Host Monitor does not really appear to have hung up at all since it has already started monitoring even before this event log error appears. There is a corresponding error message that pops up on the screen that one or more errors occured during bootup and to check the event log for details.

I have re-installed Host Monitor and even started with a fresh installation of Windows 2000 Server on a whole new computer and yet this exact same problem continues.

Any idea how to avoid it?

Thank you.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some systems report this message for unknown reason while HostMonitor works without any problems.
We investigated this problem but unfortunatelly did not find reason of the error message. We even cannot reproduce this error on our systems
According to Microsoft manuals this error should appear if service does not respond for 20 sec after start. HostMonitor reports to Windows right after initialization (normally 1-2 sec after start).

Regards
Alex
benykot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I am not sure , that with this error "all work" fine.
At least SQL query not work when I start HM "as service".
If its running "old" way - working well.

Sorry - i retern to topic :http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1455&highlight=odbc

Our issue exactly like described in the topic, but we use MS SQL, not Oracle.

I return to this issue here - perhaps these are problem - as service its not start work properly....?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am not sure , that with this error "all work" fine.

This message does not relate to any test specific problem. If this message is true, HostMonitor does not work at all.

Quote:
At least SQL query not work when I start HM "as service".
If its running "old" way - working well.

Some test that works in application mode may fail in service mode because service is started under different credentials, different work directory, different environment, etc.
Basically when you start HostMonitor as service, you should:
- specify account (that has necessary permissions) on Service page in the Options dialog
- make sure you have specified full path to the files (logs, reports, external applications, etc)
- make sure 3rd party components available for all users (e.g. ODBC data sources, DLLs...)

Quote:
Sorry - i retern to topic :http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1455&highlight=odbc
Our issue exactly like described in the topic, but we use MS SQL, not Oracle.

So, HostMonitor displays the same error:
Error 4294967295: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_ENV failed
when you click on "Test" button in the ODBC Query dialog?

Regards
Alex
benykot

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

No . I have other - very stuppy message :
Error 4294967295: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] data sourcename not found and no default driver specified

I try set use Local System account and also create new one with all administrator's rights....same.

Perhaps any wrong with this settings ("data sourcename")- because in Edit in line "Data source" its not possible press on arrow near it and get list of all data souces defined in my computer(i have more than one ). I simple write here right name and its work when run as application. (Not as service)
Marcus

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HostMonitor can work with both system dsn and user dsn. When hostmonitor is running as a service, it can only access the system dsn. So configure a system dsn and tell HostMonitor to use it (miscelaneous page in the options dialog).
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Marcus right.
There is quote from the manual
Quote:
User DSN/System DSN
As you know Windows has system data source names (System DSN) and user data source names (User DSN). System data sources are local to a computer but not user-dedicated; any user with privileges can access a system DSN. User data sources are local to a user and accessible only by the specified user. Using "User DSN/System DSN" option you can choose which data sources list will be used by HostMonitor.

Please note if you start HostMonitor as service, it will not be able to use User DSN. Only System DSN will be used . So, if you are planning to start HostMonitor as service and as regular application, use "System DSN" option. In this case HostMonitor will work equally in both modes.

Regards
Alex
benykot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!
Thanks. Work now fine.
This settings was correct in my KS , but System DSN on comp wasn't.
homerjsimpson8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I have a similar problem. The Host Monitor server (Windows 2003 SP1 with Host Monitor 5.86) gets stuck on rebooting prior to the Windows logon screen. The message "Applying computer settings" appears for a lengthy time during the delay which is immediately following by the popup "Service Control Manager : At least one service or driver failed during system startup. Use Event Viewer to examine the event log for details."
In contrast, the computer boots up without any errors when the HM Service is set to Manual. Manually starting the service from the services applet does not cause any errors. The server and HM function ok after logging in but the extended delay in booting the machine and seeing the HM errors in event viewer is a bit annoying. The event viewer messages for HM are shown below in chronological order. It appears that the service successfully starts and then 2 minutes later it tries to start again and fails. It seems strange how the service tries to start twice?
HM is running as a service using a domain admin account.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event Type: Information
Event Source: HostMonService
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1002
Date: 27/02/2006
Time: 5:11:10 PM
User: N/A
Computer: HMSERVER
Description:
Service started

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event Source: HostMonService
Event ID: 1002
Time: 5:11:18 PM
Description:
Logged on as user "domain\account"

Event Source: Application Popup
Event ID: 26
Time: 5:13:09 PM
Description:
Application popup: Service Control Manager : At least one service or driver failed during system startup. Use Event Viewer to examine the event log for details.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7022
Time: 5:13:10 PM
Description:
The KS Advanced Host Monitor service hung on starting.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This problem solved. Please read this topic:
http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=11037#11037

Update will be available shortly (actually you don't need updated HostMonitor, you just need different service settings)

Quote:
The event viewer messages for HM are shown below in chronological order. It appears that the service successfully starts and then 2 minutes later it tries to start again and fails. It seems strange how the service tries to start twice?

Service starts just once: 1st and 2nd messages - messages from HostMonitor. 3rd and 4th messages - messages from Service Control Manager that "thinks" service was not started.

Regards
Alex
homerjsimpson8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex
Thanks for your quick reply but I don't understand what I need to do.
I stopped the service and then ran HM in application mode. Monitoring was already started and the Start/Stop setting is "restore last status". Rebooted and got the same event viewer messages.
Can you please advise what I need to do next?
Thank you

Lorenzo
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can you please advise what I need to do next?

As I said update will be available shortly (probably next week). So you need just wait a little

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: