KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Monitoring Windows 2000, Window XP or a Cisco Router

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hkbatra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject: Monitoring Windows 2000, Window XP or a Cisco Router Reply with quote

I want to use SNMP get method in Host Monitor to check more detailed information on some devices. I know Ping and some other test are available. But there are many other things I want to do, so SNMP test is what I want to do. On Windows 2000/XP computer, I want to check if a machine has rebooted (I want to check other things as well, but for start, I want to know if a Windows machine has rebooted). On Cisco Routers, I want to check the status of an interface (up/down).

In HM, I chose SNMP get test, and provided the Community String and Address (did not supply the port, as it is optional). In the "Alert when OID", I supplied the following:

For Windows 2000 Server, I supplied: 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.2
For SQL Server, I supplied: 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.4.1.1.1.1.5
For Cisco Catalyst 2950, I supplied: 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.324

When I chose "Get Current Value", I always get the following error:

"Cannot retrieve data. Unknown variable(OID)"

I have verified SNMP is running on the device to be monitored.

I have also checked the community string which I supplied.

I saved the test, assuming Get Current Value is not working for some reason. But the test always gives Unknown in the Status column.

The "test by" value is "Host Monitor". I do not want install any agent anywhere.

I do not know what else I can do in this test.

Actually, I am using SolarWinds Engineer's Edition to monitor the same thing. I would like to have HM monitor this info so that I can have only one monitoring software do the job. I will have less maintenance headaches maintaining two softwares. Plus HM does other things as well.

Solarwinds software is able to fetch the interface status using the same IP address and Community string as I have supplied in the Host Monitor test.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Monitoring Windows 2000, Window XP or a Cisco Router - SNMP Reply with quote

If I use 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8.<index> (with index value 1,2, etc.) in the "Alert on OID" textbox for Cisco 2950 switch, HM fetches the value instead of an error when I click "Get current value". From Cisco's site the value for 2950 is 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.324. So, I do not j=know why HM works with 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8.1 etc instead of Cisco's MIB value for 2950.

I am also not sure how to correlate these index values with the real interfaces, vlans etc., which are present in the switch. This 2950 has 24 ports. I tried using index values from 1 through 27, and all of them give value of 1 when I click "Get current value" by changing each index value one at a time. On the switch, I know what fa0/1 - fa0/24 means, but here I get valid values from 1 through 27.

Could somebody explain the mapping between these indices and the real interfaces?

Also, with respect to Windows monitoring using SNMP on HM, I am still getting the errors described before.

Any help appreciated in this regard.

I am using HM 5.00 Beta.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On Windows 2000/XP computer, I want to check if a machine has rebooted
For Windows 2000 Server, I supplied: 1.3.6.1.4.1.311.1.1.3.1.2

Truth to say I don't have information about such counter. Could you point me to some manual?
I think you may use standard sysUpTime counter (OID: 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0) instead. If you use "decreases by 1" alert option, test will change status when system rebooted.

Quote:
On Cisco Routers, I want to check the status of an interface (up/down).
For Cisco Catalyst 2950, I supplied: 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.324
If I use 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8.<index> (with index value 1,2, etc.) in the "Alert on OID" textbox for Cisco 2950 switch, HM fetches the value instead of an error. I am also not sure how to correlate these index values with the real interfaces, vlans etc., which are present in the switch.

To check what index is assigned to some interface you may use "Traffic Monitor" test method, it provides dialog that shows all interfaces (name, index, speed). Just select Add -> Traffic Monitor and click on "Choose network interface" button in the Test Properties dialog (it looks like small book).

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: