KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

"Connect As" Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyfreak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject: "Connect As" Issues Reply with quote

HM 4.70 running on a W2000 desktop, sp4.
I'm trying to run a UNC test on a remote W2000 Server, sp3.

When I run this test on a W2000 server on my local subnet, I do not have to spicify what HM should connect as.

When I run this test on a remote server, different subnet, I originally set the test to connect with the local admin account, but that is not working now. If i use a domain account, it works fine.

Why is this ?

Also, what is the best way to monitor a server with dual procs ?
And, with HM, what test would provide a real time network map of devices, SNMP get ?

Sorry to cram so many questions into 1 post.
Thanks.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, what is the best way to monitor a server with dual procs ?

Truth to say I do not see difference between single processor and dual processor systems. All test methods will work in the same way. Except CPU Usage test that will display average CPU load. If you want to check load of the specified processor, use Performance Counter test method.

Quote:
And, with HM, what test would provide a real time network map of devices, SNMP get ?

I am afraid HostMonitor does not have such function (network map).

Quote:
When I run this test on a remote server, different subnet, I originally set the test to connect with the local admin account, but that is not working now. If i use a domain account, it works fine.

Tests worked with local admin account before but doesn't work now? Probably some permissions were changed...

Regards
Alex
flyfreak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO what is the snmp get test used for ? what does it report ?
As far as permissions, no local admin permissions changed, could network performance cause this problem as well ?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
SO what is the snmp get test used for ? what does it report ?

H'm, interesting question. SNMP protocol can provide various information - you can check network traffic, system up time, number of network interfaces, temperature in your server room.... Everything depends on SNMP agent that is installed on monitored system.

Quote:
As far as permissions, no local admin permissions changed, could network performance cause this problem as well ?

I think network problem should cause domain account to fail as well.
You don't want to use domain admin account?

Regards
Alex
Miguel79

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: "Connect As" Issues Reply with quote

Hello, i use v4.86 with W2000SRV, SP4.
Problem is when i try to check service status on remote machine the - CONNECT AS - function does not work at all.

I watch system log at the remote machine and it says that user wchich originally started HM has logged to the system, not the one i've just set.

HM is set as service with proper configuration (service as system, user is alternatively set in HM options). I also tried to start service directly as local admin instead of local system.
paulcarrick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I'm using beta 5 and have come across this problem too! Although you can specify the account you wish to do a unc check it seems that the account you're using to set the test up in HM has to have admin rights on the remote machine also. Is this correct?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We found this problem as well and investigated it using debugger and sniffer. Connection Manager (HostMonitor) calls Windows API using account that you have specified. I am 100% sure, I have checked it again and again. But... in some cases WINDOWS uses current user account!!! Why? I don't have any idea. Did not find any explanation in Microsoft manuals.
Solution? Its better to use account that has necessary permissions to start HostMonitor.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: