KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Is there some trick to monitoring Windows XP hosts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Is there some trick to monitoring Windows XP hosts? Reply with quote

I am having almost no luck monitoring Windows XP hosts. The exact same tests that work on Windows 2000 or even Windows 2003 Server get "unable to connect" and "Win32" errors on XP hosts. I am using an administrator user and password and there is no XP firewall applied to the network connection on the XP host. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly do you want to monitor? Some service? CPU? web? What test method doesn't work?

Regards
Alex
lr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: The test that are failing on Windows XP hosts Reply with quote

The only test I can get to work is Ping. I have tried at least these three with no success:
Service test
Performance counter (memory available)
UNC (availability/free space)

If I take the exact same tests above and direct them to the same remote site to a host with a different IP that is Windows 2000 they succeed.

Thank you.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Service test
Performance counter (memory available)
UNC (availability/free space)

These test methods should work fine when you are using administrator's account. But there are some additional requirements:
- Service test: RPC service should be started on remote system
- Performance Counter: RPC service and Remote Registry service should be started on remote system
- UNC test: appropriate network protocol and network service should be started on remote system, the same protocol and appropriate client should be started on HostMonitor's system.
Could you check this?

I have some more questions:
- what exactly error do you receive? Win32...?
- Windows 2000 systems (that work) and Windows XP system (that do not work correctly) located in the same domain?

Regards
Alex
lr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Replies to monitoring Windows XP host Reply with quote

I have checked all the settings you mention and they are OK. I have turned off the XP SP2 firewall completely. There is no software firewall running either.

Monitoring the service I get Win32 error #5.

Monitoring the available memory I get "unable to access the desired machine or service

There is no reply to drive free space test.

All the computers I monitor are on the same workgroup, but none are domain controlled. The Windows 2000 Prof and Server and 2003 Server machines monitor fine using the exact same tests (simply changing IP of the host to be monitored).

Strangely even the networking and sharing from the Host Monitor server to the Windows XP works. I can see computer and browse the shared drive contents and yet the exact same drive cannot be tested for free space with UNC test.

Any further ideas? There is nothing unique about the XP configuration. All possible service packs and Windows Live Updates are current.

Thank you.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our testing XP systems worked fine, so I tried to install latest security updates:
KB890175
KB890830
KB885836
KB873339
KB885835
KB886185
After installing these updates HostMonitor cannot perform tests: UNC test returns Unknown status, Service test returns error 1722 (RPC Server is not available). And what is worse - XP system does not accept local user login, no one can log in to the system now.
Will try to investigate which update causes troubles...

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely problems caused by KB885835 or KB886185 updates...

Regards
Alex
plambrecht

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Propably the same issue :

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;870901

Regards

Pieter
Metallator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the WinXP firewall on the client denies the incomming connections.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: