KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Annoyances in/ 4.80?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Annoyances in/ 4.80? Reply with quote

1) Dialog boxes broken? (Reports/Save As dialog box shows strange stuff in text field) Cannot name/save reports. Wasn't a problem in 4.74 and earlier.

2) Text at top of HTML reports says "This report was generated by Advanced Host Monitor" with link (ad ware). Why? Does is have to be right at the top of the report? Wasn't a problem in 4.74 and earlier (although it might have been there in the stock footer?).

And that's just after 2 mins of looking at the new release. I'm afraid of what other "enhancements" I might find. Alex: help!

KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1) Dialog boxes broken? (Reports/Save As dialog box shows strange stuff in text field) Cannot name/save reports. Wasn't a problem in 4.74 and earlier.

Cannot reproduce this problem.
As usually (I probaly said this 1000 times) could you please provide detailed information about problem?
- Windows version?
- Service pack?
- HostMonitor is running as service or application?
- under what account?
Could you send screen shot to support@ks-soft.net

Quote:
2) Text at top of HTML reports says "This report was generated by Advanced Host Monitor" with link (ad ware). Why? Does is have to be right at the top of the report? Wasn't a problem in 4.74 and earlier (although it might have been there in the stock footer?).

Link can be at top or at the bottom.
But if you remove link completely (using external header and footer without any link to KS-Soft), HostMonitor will add link wherever it can

Regards
Alex
MikeM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Annoyances in/ 4.80? Reply with quote

1) Sent details to support@ks-soft.com. Thanks.

2) I hope you'll reconsider the Ad-ware line on the reports in 4.80. I consider this to be a "Hotmail" or shareware style viral marketing trick. AHM is a commercial product, and I would like to retain control over the formatting since I paid for it (my users are not going to appreciate being solicited). If MS Word appended ads to my documents, or Outlook appended ads to my emails I'd downgrade (4.7x) and look for another product.

I'd be curious to hear why you did this and what other users think....
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1) Sent details to support@ks-soft.com

Thank you for information. Unfortunately we cannot reproduce this problem on our Windows 2003 system.

Actually this dialog displayed by Windows, HostMonitor uses Windows API to call standard dialogs. That's why I don't see how this problem can be related to our upgrade...
Are you sure you have not installed any Microsoft update at the same time?
Does it works fine in application mode?

Will try to find information about similar problem on Windows 2003....

Quote:
2) I hope you'll reconsider the Ad-ware line on the reports in 4.80. I consider this to be a "Hotmail" or shareware style viral marketing trick. AHM is a commercial product, and I would like to retain control over the formatting since I paid for it (my users are not going to appreciate being solicited). If MS Word appended ads to my documents, or Outlook appended ads to my emails I'd downgrade (4.7x) and look for another product

On the one hand its not ad-ware. HostMonitor does not show any advertising. It does not say "buy our chocolate". It simply puts his signature. Signature of the developer and ad-ware - completely different things. Don't you think?

BTW: MS Word and Outlook puts signature into DOC files and in the e-mail header as well. Everybody do this.

On the other hand usually signature is invisible for users. You are right.
Probably HostMonitor should add invisible signature.

So, what other users think?

Regards
Alex
MikeM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On the other hand usually signature is invisible for users. You are right. Probably HostMonitor should add invisible signature.

I'm fine with that. I WANT you to get credit for writing a great piece of S/W, but I don't see the point of having a signature right in the top/middle of the report since we already bought it once and we ain't buying it again (other than more RMA licenses).

It does make sense for the eval version or as a default if you're not using custom header/footer.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) about problems with dialog
Unfortunately I cannot find information about exactly the same problem. Its hard to create suitable request
The only I find http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313937
But as I understand you have different problem...?

2)
Quote:
but I don't see the point of having a signature right in the top/middle of the report

Actually HostMonitor adds HTML code to the end of report. But sometimes (e.g. if you close table using </table> code in the footer) that text may appear in different place. To avoid this add standard link at any place you want (header or footer).

Regards
Alex
stcallaghan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
2) On the other hand usually signature is invisible for users. You are right.
Probably HostMonitor should add invisible signature.

So, what other users think?

Regards
Alex

Agreed. There should be no visible additions to a customized report. Leave it in the standard footer, but don't add it if I replace the standard footer.

STC
jromariz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Any News?? Reply with quote

Hi,

Any news about this?

Thanks

Jromariz.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope new version (Beta) will be available next week
Release - someday in February

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: