KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

System Requirements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riddick

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: System Requirements Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

I have added a lot of tests concerning network, cpu and hdd to HostMonitor. The problem is, that the RAm and CPU-Usage is extremly high.
Do you have an idea about System requirements? Or is there a list where i can see how much RAM i should have that Hostmonitor runs acceptable?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its very hard to predict resource usage without knowing exactly configuration (tests, alerts, logs). The same test with some option may use 10 times more resources than with another option (e.g. URL test with/without "download images" option)...
A lot depends on 3rd party software, driver, etc. E.g. ODBC logging may use more CPU than tests and alerts.

BTW: What exactly means "that the RAm and CPU-Usage is extremly high"? CPU usage is 40%? 99%? How many tests do you have? What the average test interval? How many memory is used by HostMonitor?

Regards
Alex
riddick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got 100 test, most of them are SNMP tests reading in and out going errors on several switches.
Furthermore test concerning CPU and free Harddisk on our important server.

If there is an alert an email will be sent to the Administrator. Test is repeating every 5 seconds.

CPU Usage : between 80 and 90%
RAM: between 50 and 100%
JuergenF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

riddick wrote:
Ive got 100 test, most of them are SNMP tests reading in and out going errors on several switches.

I use the following for that test.
Alert when increase/Sec > 0.01 (on german system 0,01), tested every 15 minutes. That will decrease the load on HM and on your Switches/Routes too.
I found out that fireing more than 10 snmp tests in 1 sec to one single Switch (Cisco 1900 / 2900) collapses the switch.
May advise: Be careful with too many snmp test at the "same time" for a single device.
riddick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have nearly 70 HP Procurve Switches I want to guard. So each Switch got a SNMP test every 5 Seconds.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 test items is a small amount. HostMonitor uses 2-4% of CPU to perform 20 SNMP tests per second on my Pentium 4 Windows 2000 system. Probably some other application uses a lot of CPU? E.g. some antivirus monitor or personal firewall may check all traffic generated by HostMonitor, it could produce much higher resource usage than HostMonitor itself.
Do you use ODBC logging? What ODBC driver do you use?

Quote:
RAM: between 50 and 100%

% of ?? Could you please provide amount in Mb?

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: