KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Start as much tests as possible,but not more than 5 per host

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JuergenF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Start as much tests as possible,but not more than 5 per host Reply with quote

Dear all,

I've to monitor about 140 Cisco Catalyst Switches.
From time to time I'd like to monitor all the ports on all Switches for Input and output errors.
That are about
140 Switches * 26 Ports * 2 Tests (IN- and OUT-errors) =
7000 tests to perform.

I wrote a script to create a txt-File to use for import to HM.
Switch1 SNMP InErrors If1
Switch1 SNMP InErrors If2
Switch1 SNMP InErrors If25
---
Switch1 SNMP OutErrors If1
Switch1 SNMP OutErrors If2
Switch1 SNMP OutErrors If25
------
Switch2 SNMP InErrors If1
Switch2 SNMP InErrors If2
Switch2 SNMP InErrors If25
---
Switch2 SNMP OutErrors If1
Switch2 SNMP OutErrors If2
Switch2 SNMP OutErrors If25
---
and so on ...

On the one hand I'd like to set parallelism as high as possible ("Don't start more than 128 tests per second")

When I do that every switch is fired with 2 * 25 snmp requests and collapses

What I need is:
- Don't start more than xxx tests per IP-Address (host) per second

- What influence do I have on the sequence of the test ?
- Possible solution would be to Test
Switch1 SNMP InErrors If1
Switch2 SNMP InErrors If1
Switch140 SNMP InErrors If1
Switch1 SNMP InErrors If2
Switch2 SNMP InErrors If2
but how to force that ?

Ohter suggestions are welcome.

Sorry for that long description, hope the problem is clear.

Juergen
Marcus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If tests are made dependend on eachother, it will fire the tests sequentially. And you could created several trees, so for example every switch wil have a maximum of x tests at the same time.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also you may create different schedules, e.g.
- test port #1, #2 and #3 (for all routers) between 00:00-00:03, 00:30-00:33, 01:00-01:03, ...
- test port #4, #5 and #6 (for all routers) between 00:03-00:06, 00:33-00:36, 01:03-01:06, ...
- test port 25 and 26 (for all routers) between 00:24-00:27, 00:54-00:57, 01:24-01:27, ...

I think it will work well, but you have to spend a lot of time to configure these 9 schedules.

Regards
Alex
JuergenF

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus wrote:
If tests are made dependend on eachother, it will fire the tests sequentially. And you could created several trees, so for example every switch wil have a maximum of x tests at the same time.

Marcus: Thanks for that suggestion
KS-Soft wrote:
Also you may create different schedules, e.g.
- test port #1, #2 and #3 (for all routers) between 00:00-00:03, 00:30-00:33, 01:00-01:03, ...
- test port #4, #5 and #6 (for all routers) between 00:03-00:06, 00:33-00:36, 01:03-01:06, ...
- test port 25 and 26 (for all routers) between 00:24-00:27, 00:54-00:57, 01:24-01:27, ...

I think it will work well, but you have to spend a lot of time to configure these 9 schedules.

Alex: Thanks for that suggestion

@both
The critical situations are:
- First start of HM, then all tests are started
- The "Refresh all tests" Button
When it's running for a while that's no problem, because I set the test interval depending on the Interface number a little different in my creation script.

What about these situations. Will that work with your suggestion or are all tests fired as fast as possible ? (That's what I think)

General question:
I have the "feeling" that the tests are started - when no dependencies are defined - in the order they where imported from the TXT-file.
Is that correct ?
Then I'll try to rewrite my Script that creates the input TXT-file to the following:
Switch1 - Interface1
Switch2 - Interface1
Switchn - Interface1
------
Switch1 - Interface2
Switch2 - Interface2
That would help for both:
First start of HM and "Refresh all tests"

So my questions is:
In which order are the tests performed ? (without dependencies defined)

Thanks a lot for the great support in this forum

Juergen
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What about these situations. Will that work with your suggestion or are all tests fired as fast as possible ? (That's what I think)

Yes, it will work. If test is out of schedule, it will not be performed. You may click Refresh button, you may restart HostMonitor - test will not be performed until schedule alows.
The same about dependant tests. If one test depends on another and time specified on Behavior page in the Options dialog expired, HostMonitor will not perform dependant test until recheck master test. But there is side effect: if master test fails (e.g. port #5 check), dependant test (e.g. port #6 check) will not be performed. You can avoid this using "this test depends on EXPRESSION" mode, e.g. you may check master status for "unknown" result.

Quote:
I have the "feeling" that the tests are started - when no dependencies are defined - in the order they where imported from the TXT-file.
Is that correct ?

If tests have the same test interval and they was checked/created at the same time, then yes. HostMonitor will start tests in creation/importing order.

Quote:
Then I'll try to rewrite my Script that creates the input TXT-file to the following:
Switch1 - Interface1
Switch2 - Interface1
Switchn - Interface1
------
Switch1 - Interface2
Switch2 - Interface2

Yes, it could work....

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: