KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

What are the requirements for a host to be monitored?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lr

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:32 pm    Post subject: What are the requirements for a host to be monitored? Reply with quote

I am having problems monitoring several hosts. Of all the test methods I have attempted only Ping and Trace are successful. I am successfully monitoring other hosts at the same site.

These problem hosts are Windows NT4 Client and Windows XP machines that are highly configured to auto logon and run just one application. I suspect they were factory configured to lock out most user intervention normally present in Windows.

The unsuccessful tests I have tried include:

Drive Free Space -- returns status "Unknown" with result "RMA-301- network path was not found".

Windows Event Log -- return status "Unknown" with result "RMA-301- Win32 Error - Code5"

Count Files -- return status "Unknown" with result " RMA-301 - Folder doesn't exist"

Service -- retrun status "Unknown" with result "RMA-301 - Access is denied"

I have tried the tests from the Host Monitor server directly as well as via the on-site RMA, and they both have the same problem.

Can you please suggest what I might look at in the Windows configuration or the Registry to figure out why only the Ping and Trace are working?

thank you.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to monitor disk/folders/files on remote system, remote system should share this resource (disk) over network. It means:
1) network protocol should be installed on both (monitoring and monitored system). Ping test works, so TCP/IP protocol is installed.
2) service that allows remote access to files should be installed on monitored system (e.g. "File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks" service)
3) appropriate client should be installed on monitoring system (e.g. Client for Microsoft Networks)
4) Disk drive that you want to check should be shared.
5) Account that is used by HostMonitor should have rights to access that shared resource. If HostMonitor is running in service mode, specify account on Service page in the Options dialog (HostMonitor's Options dialog)
6) Use Connection Manager dialog to provide user name and password for each monitored server.

If you use RMA installed on that remote system, only item #1 must be accomplished.
Could you please provide test settings? Looks like you have installed RMA on one system and checks another system.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: