KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Saving reports and logs to network drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grberk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Saving reports and logs to network drive Reply with quote

I had this problem last year and it has reappeared.

I am using HostMonitor 4.80 and I was able to save the full report and logs to a network drive. I had changed the service to use an administrator account for running the HostMonitor service.

For some reason, the system no longer lets me save the log files to the network drive. If I save the files locally, it's fine. If I run HostMonitor from the startup rather than the service, I can save to the network drive.

When I try to manually generate a report inside HostMonitor, I get a pop-up window that says it couldn't create the file.

The administrator account is that - an administrator. It has full access to the network and the network drive.

So how come I can't save logs and reports to the network drive now?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure its a good idea - use network drive. It increases traffic, makes system a little slower, ...
If you want to check logs remotely, you may use Web Service.

Anyway, somehow your system does not allow to open files. Why? I don't know. How you fixed this problem last year?

May be HostMonitor cannot use account you have specified? Could you check NT Event Log? There should be message (from HostMonitor) about successful or failed log on.

How you have specified path to the log? Using hostname within UNC path? Or IP address?

Regards
Alex
grberk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like being able to put the logs into the folder on the network drive. The target folder is located on our company web server, and it worked well when we had all of the logs for HostMonitor and also for our WebTrends all together so we could go to a web page and see them all together.

I guess it would be nice to be able to control the service remotely via web and also have a way to host the web pages, so I guess we will go ahead and buy the web license.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
May be HostMonitor cannot use account you have specified? Could you check NT Event Log? There should be message (from HostMonitor) about successful or failed log on.
grberk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing in the logs. That is why this is so confusing. I have just purchased the license for the web and telnet, so it is a moot point now.

Thanks anyway.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing at all? It means HostMonitor is running under "local system" account. That's why it cannot access files.
Please, check settings on Service page in the Options dialog

Regards
Alex
grberk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not using the system account. I have looked over and over.

As I stated, it's not an issue anymore. I am now using the web service and it is doing what I need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: