KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Does anybody need new report (Dashboard)?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sfm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - I would like to chat with you about the products you have replaced and your implementation of AHM. We went through the same process and even replaced some of the same products you mentioned, so we may have some interesting ideas to share about implementation, etc... For example, we developed a PHP front-end for report delivery to end-users.

Let me know if this is of interest to you. If it is, let me know how to contact you.
MikeM

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sfm: you can reach me at it_strategy(at)hotmail.com. Thanks.
Quantum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
Quote:
In my humble opinion a report that looks like this is about 400% less usefull than a real time view.

Question is - what is "real time" and what is not "real time"?

1) Report can be generated every time some status changes. So, report becomes a real time view?
2) Another example: HM generates report every 20 sec. Is this "real time" or not?

Regards
Alex

I get your point, however from my point of view real time = the same state and update times as the main test GUI. I use SQL to log to and the report generator in AHM does not seem to like that much.

-Q
mpriess

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Dashboard View Reply with quote

"For example: do you need option to specify subfolders depth (so you can choose to see main folder and 1,2,3.. level(s) of subfolders, or see whole tree). I think this option can be useful..."

Yes, absolutely. The ability to drill-down or choose what should be displayed on the dashboard would be a good administrative function.
Marcus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In my humble opinion a report that looks like this is about 400% less usefull than a real time view.

This is true, but in our case we have no choice and we don't need a real time view directly from HostMonitor:

No choice: If we use the web service, it wil generate web-pages of 5 mb or more (due to the huge ammount of tests), which wil degenerate the purpose of the web-service (it just isn't responsive enough). Using separate html pages (we use custom html reports) and a nice drop-down menu it reduces the size of the files, with the penalty of no 'real-time' monitoring using a web-interface.

No need: All our alerts are forwarded using snmp to our central monitoring server (HP Openview), which does give us a 'real-time' monitoring of the status of the servers.

Quote:
This is the sort of thing that you have on a 40" plasma display bolted to the wall of your support department !!

This all depends on the size of your pictures. In our case, we use a 11x11 pixels picture (green, red, orange, blue, grey, purple or yellow). On a 1280x1024 screen I now have one screen filled for less than 50% and it will represent 2859 tests! Hoovering over a 'button' wil give you a pop-up with some extra information, clicking the 'button' it wil link you to a new page, with much more information.
Quantum

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No need: All our alerts are forwarded using snmp to our central monitoring server (HP Openview), which does give us a 'real-time' monitoring of the status of the servers.

Good for you, be some of us don't have the time, money or life skills to run / deal with HP brokenview

-Q
Marcus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Good for you, be some of us don't have the time, money or life skills to run / deal with HP brokenview

I understand not everyone uses HP Openview. I just wanted to make clear that there are more possible ways to achieve the same result. In your case (since you are logging to SQL) I could imagine you created a web site to read out a table which is updated when a status change is logged
plambrecht

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The report is there !

Thx alot Alex !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: