KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Compare files - Query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damester

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Compare files - Query Reply with quote

Just a small query

When creating a test using compare files

Is there an advantage in mentioning the use of an RMA connection in the "Test by" options.

As compare files - will only look locally for files to compare and would therefore need a mapped network drive to compare files of the machine where RMA is.

Thus making RMA useless for this test, correct?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to map drive only in case you don't know where files located. And you need to do this once - to check location of the files and setup test. After that you don't need to map drive

Regards
Alex
Damester

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to map drive because the system that needs monitoring is not on the same machine as AHM, (different physical site) I therefore have to VPN to the machine and then map a network drive to be able to view the files in AHM for comparing.

Are you telling me that once you have established the files to locate in AHM test, AHM will remember that onwards?? even if the map isn't there?

Also, It still does not answer my question of is there any advantage in choosing the RMA location for "test by" when using file compare?

As file compare can only see locally, correct?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you telling me that once you have established the files to locate in AHM test, AHM will remember that onwards?? even if the map isn't there?

If test is performed by RMA installed on remote system, path should be specified from RMA's point of view. E.g. if file is located on drive C, you should use drive C, regardless what letter do you use for the map on your local system.
BTW: you may use UNC path, like \\systemB\C\Logs\checkfile

If you can call someone who has access to the files, you don't need to map drive at all. Just ask where files are located and type path in the Test Properties dialog.

Quote:
Also, It still does not answer my question of is there any advantage in choosing the RMA location for "test by" when using file compare?

Quote from the manual:
Quote:
1) RMA increases security of the network. When you have to run the tests such as CPU Usage test or Performance Counters tests on a remote system, HostMonitor must be able to log in to that system with administrators privileges. Instead you may now use an agent installed on that remote system. In this case HostMonitor will not have to log on to that system at all. HostMonitor needs just one TCP port to communicate with the RMA agent (by default it uses #1055 port, however you may set an agent to use any other port).

In your case you probably don't need to use administrator account, but this item still have sense. With RMA HostMonitor doesn't need to login to remote system

2)Remote Monitoring Agent is also a very useful tool when you have to monitor two (or many) separated networks (connected through Internet). In this case installing just one instance of RMA behind the firewall in network "A" will allow to monitor entire network "A" using the HostMonitor located in the network "B" with just one open TCP port.

3)RMA decreases the network traffic. E.g. frequent use of "File Integrity" or "Compare Files" tests in an array of remote systems may apply significant load on the network. The more and the bigger files you test the more traffic increase you get. RMA runs locally and sends only the test results to the HostMonitor thus decreasing the amount of network traffic.

4)RMA simplifies network administration. You no longer need to share drives to perform tests like Drive Free Space, Folder/File Size, File Availability, Count Files, etc

Regards
Alex
Damester

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you,

I have now understood how it works, whereby in AHM you can specify the directory structure as if your on the RMA machine locally.
I now no longer need to setup a VPN connection.
I have enabled this and even use a date macro directory strucutre.
AHM really is a great prog and worth every penny in my opinion.

One other query is:

Can you tell me whether the date macros in AHM are GMT or system date/time based?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have now understood how it works, whereby in AHM you can specify the directory structure as if your on the RMA machine locally.

Right

Quote:
Can you tell me whether the date macros in AHM are GMT or system date/time based?

Local system time (not GMT)

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: