KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Getting RCI and Web access to work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis Kane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Getting RCI and Web access to work Reply with quote

I have an eval copy of HM4.7 installed on a dedicated W2003 server. This is the only app running on the server other than the basic OS.

I have configured it to run as a service. I have also installed the Web service on the same physical server.

I have configured Options, RCI, Enable RCI, listen on 1054, 15 Sec time out, max 8 simultaneous connections, enabled all record flags, and set up a user profile with a name and password. and enabled all user rights for this user. The Account Status has been set to enabled.

I have run webservice.exe and set the RCI address to the loopback (127.0.0.1) on Port 1054, with a 15 sec timeout. The Web Server is set to port 80 and the WIN32 Service status is installed.

I have checked the services (KS Advanced Host Monitor and KS Web Service) and they are running.

When I try to login to the RCI on port 1054 the page is slow to load and results in a page with the following characters on it: 8ÖþŒ

If I try to establish a remote web conncetion to the app on port 80 I get a login screen asking for a user and password, but it will not take any password I give it, including no password.

I do not see a password requirement in the web interface setup. I do see one in the RMI setup.

If I shut down AHM and leave the web service running and just open a remote IE session to port 80 on the HM server I get a connection to the web service and the following message:
Response from HostMonitor's Web Service:
Transmission error (Web Service <-> HostMonitor): "Connection error"

Any suggestions on how I can get these two capabilities working.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When I try to login to the RCI on port 1054 the page is slow to load and results in a page with the following characters on it: 8ÖþŒ

Port 1054 is used for WebService<->HostMonitor communication. You see characters "8ÖþŒ" because transmission encrypted. Web browser should connect to WebService using port 80

Quote:
If I try to establish a remote web conncetion to the app on port 80 I get a login screen asking for a user and password, but it will not take any password I give it, including no password.

Please check user profile. Username, password, list of IP addresses. Probably it does not have right to establish remote connections. See "Accept remote connections from" box.

Regards
Alex
plambrecht

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the documentation:

Code:
To allow remote management of HostMonitor via web browser follow these simple steps:

1. start HostMonitor
2. configure HostMonitor's Remote Control Interface on RCI page in the Options dialog
3. setup user accounts: use HostMonitor's menu "User"->"Operators"
4. start the Web Service.
5. configure Web Service: provide an address of the HostMonitor's system and TCP port that you had specified for RCI

You can setup the useraccounts as described.
Port 1054 is the RCI port. Data s encrypted, so you can't access it directly.
You have to use the Telnet service or the Webservice

Pieter
Dennis Kane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: I did all that Reply with quote

I have tried entering my IP address in the "Accept remote connections from" box, it makes no difference. I believe this box is only meant to limit access, and if left blank simply lets the user login from any IP address.

I have also tried my login using the "Login as..." dialog and it accepts my login and lets me in.

I have this problem even when not remote. I have opened IE on the server and tried to login to port 80 and get the same problem.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have tried entering my IP address in the "Accept remote connections from" box, it makes no difference. I believe this box is only meant to limit access, and if left blank simply lets the user login from any IP address.

No. Empty list means user cannot login to HostMonitor using RCI interface.
Have you added IP address of the Web Service? I think it is 127.0.0.1 in your case? Also address should be marked [x]

Regards
Alex
Dennis Kane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: OK, that got web access, now how do I get to remote control Reply with quote

Adding the loopback address to my user profile allowed me access via port 80, but what appears to come up is just a limited ability. I have enabled all rights, how do I get to the tool admin settings?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Web Service has limited abilities.

Regards
Alex
Dennis Kane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the help. I have it working well enough for eval Reply with quote

Thanks for the speedy answers and technical help. I have the RCI/web intefacing working now so I can proceed with the eval.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: