KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Hostmon Test Failure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sadek76

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Hostmon Test Failure Reply with quote

I'm running hostmon ver. 4.62 (not as a service) on at NT 4.0 SP 6a, 335 Mhz CPU with 128 RAM. I have 1300+ UNC tests running, where if they fail three consecutive times an external trap sender program is executed and will send a trap to a Unix trap receiver server. This past weekend we had a major power down and shut off most of our servers. Hostmon didn't react too well. Instead of the tests failing, they would just sit at a checking state. I received maybe three failure messages, during a period of 15 hours. Do to this failure, I exported the IP addresses to a text file, wrote a Perl program to use that file, create a .hmi file and import it as ping tests. The ping tests were setup to run once every ten minutes and execute a external Trap sender program when the test failed three consecutive times. This only worked for an hour at a time. After each hour hostmon would report that the ping test failed (which is correct), but would not execute the external Trap program. Restarting the hostmon program would fix the problem for about an hour, then stop excuting the external program again. I think the ping problems might be due to the out dated machine. I normally run the hostmon application on a dual 2.9Ghz PC with 1 Gig ram running XP, but couldn't due to the power down.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Instead of the tests failing, they would just sit at a checking state. I received maybe three failure messages, during a period of 15 hours

HostMonitor's code that performs UNC test does not have any loops. Looks like network client ("Client for Microsoft Networks"?) hangs...

Quote:
This only worked for an hour at a time. After each hour hostmon would report that the ping test failed (which is correct), but would not execute the external Trap program. Restarting the hostmon program would fix the problem for about an hour, then stop excuting the external program again.

Could you check resource usage using standard Task Manager (handles, user objects, threads)? May be there some resource leakage...

Actually I would recommend to upgrade that system, I think Windows 2000 is the most releable Windows platform. We tested HostMonitor with Windows NT 4.0 SP3 and SP4. It works fine as well. But system crashed every time we tried to install SP6.

Regards
Alex
sadek76

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of thought that would be your response. I have an order in to replace the PC used for these tests, unfortnantly I can't perform the same tests that I did over the weekend until our next power down which should be in about a year or so.

Thanks Again
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably you can disconnect network cable from the server? Its pretty similar to power off in the building.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: