KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Email not sending when running as only a service..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordJezo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Email not sending when running as only a service.. Reply with quote

Odd..

When the program is running in the background as a service none of the warning emails are sent out.

When I bring the service down and start the program as a normal program all of the tests immediatly refresh and emails are sent out if any of the tests fail, just as I would expect.

Is there a special setting I need to make (running on a windows 2003 server) in order to get HostMonitor to send out emails when run as a service or should I just leave the program running as a normal program on the console system?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please check log files? If HostMonitor cannot perform some action, it records message with explanation (system log file specified on Advanced Logs page in the Options dialog).
Also, have you changed status of the tests? Probably HostMonitor cannot perform tests? Just click on HostMonitor's icon (system tray icon, not icon on desktop!) and check what is going on.

Regards
Alex
LordJezo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to that log it seems that the program was never even running.

The service is always "started" but I usually never see an icon in the task manager.

Am I doing something completely wrong perhaps? When the system comes up and it says in the service menu that it is running I always assumed that it was indeed running in the background. I started the program on the console and it seems as though it hasnt been doing a thing since the last time it was started, the tests were as I left them a few days ago, only 1 run each.

I have had it up and running on the console system itself for a few hours now and everything seems to be updating. There is also an icon in the task manager as well.

Maybe I have been doing something wrong..
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The service is always "started" but I usually never see an icon in the task manager.

You are running HostMonitor on local system? Or you have started HostMonitor on remote server and check it using Terminal Service?

Regards
Alex
LordJezo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
Quote:

You are running HostMonitor on local system? Or you have started HostMonitor on remote server and check it using Terminal Service?

Regards
Alex

It is running on a remote server. I use Windows Remote Desktop Connection to connect to the server and would check it by bringing down the service, loading up the client, and then loading back up the service once I closed out the client.

What I think was wrong was that I was doing it on the remote connection so I was on a different session then the one that was logged in at the console. I think I will need to make the changes from the console instead of doing it from a remote host.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, service cannot display information on remote desktop
(it does not have appropriate handle).
http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1100

Solutions:
- if its possible, log to system locally
- otherwise you should check log files and/or reports to see what is going on.

BTW: Have you specified appropriate account on Service page in the Options dialog (HostMonitor's Options dialog)?
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#options.htm#Service

Regards
Alex
sysdeath

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:46 am    Post subject: Same Problem Reply with quote

I have the same problem. When HM notices a problem, it doesn't send the notification that there is a problem. The logs show nothing. When the problem has been resolved, it always send a message saying the problem has been resolved.

I too am running it as a service.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have the same problem. When HM notices a problem, it doesn't send the notification that there is a problem. The logs show nothing. When the problem has been resolved, it always send a message saying the problem has been resolved.

Looks like alert profile configured improperly.
If you send alerts.lst file to support@ks-soft.net, I can check your settings.

Regards
Alex
sysdeath

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be half the problem. I don't have a alerts.lst file.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, my mistake. I mean "actions.lst"

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you are receiving more "good" notifications than "bad"?

Its easy to explain.
Quote from the manual
Quote:
Action depends on "bad" one
This optional parameter is available for "Good" actions only. You can set "Good" action dependable on a "Bad" action. Why do you need it? For example you defined "Bad" action to send an e-mail notification to the network administrator when test fails 3 times consecutively (start when 3 consecutive "Bad" results occur), also you defined «Good» action to send a notification when the test status changes to "Good". What will happen if test fails 1 or 2 times and after this it restores "Good" status? HostMonitor will not send a notification about failure (because test did not fail 3 times) but the program will send notification about restoring "Good" status. To avoid unnecessary "Good" action execution you can mark "Action depends on "bad" one" option and select "Bad" action. In this case HostMonitor will start "Good" action only if corresponding "Bad" action was executed.

So, to resolve problem, use "Action depends on bad one" option.

Also, you don't need to use 5 actions with the same settings. Use single "send e-mail" action providing list of recipients separated with a semicolon ( ; )

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: